Creator/JohannWolfgangVonGoethe's [[VeryLooselyBasedOnATrueStory (un)]]historical drama about the eponymous recalcitrant knight, UsefulNotes/GotzVonBerlichingen.
!! Tropes in the drama:
* ArtificialLimbs: Götz's 'Iron Hand'.
* ClusterBleepBomb: Most editions of the drama don't actually print its most famous line, featuring only a cryptic censoring hyphen in its place.
* ClusterFBomb: "Kiss my ass" seems tame by modern standards, but in Goethe's day it was a calculated audience shock.
* DrivenToSuicide: Franz, Weislingen's squire, defenestrates himself from a castle window when overcome with remorse for poisoning his master.
* FamedInStory: Götz is already widely known for his daring and fighting prowess by the beginning of the drama.
* HandicappedBadass: Götz, as well as Sickingen, his ally and, later, brother-in-law who only has one leg.
* HaveAGayOldTime: Adelheid calls Franz "warmer Junge" (=warm boy; nowadays people would wonder whether she called him gay).
* HistoricalHeroUpgrade: Goethe's Götz is much more noble-minded than anybody could honestly believe of the real Götz, who was (however he may have sugarcoated it in his own memoir) ultimately a self-serving robber baron and mercenary with shifting allegiances.
* HonorBeforeReason: A prominent motif; Götz just cannot part from his ways or swallow his pride to submit to the "new era".
* MeaningfulName: Metzler (reminds of Metzger/metzeln [[[TheButcher butcher]] / to butcher]), Kohl (cabbage), Wild; also, the government bureaucrat Stumpf (dull).
* MyGodWhatHaveIDone: Franz, after poisoning his master on Adelheid's instigation, confesses, then jumps to his death from a castle window.
* TheVamp: Adelheid, who perfidiously manipulates and corrupts Weislingen, and in the end inveigles his squire Franz (after seducing him) to poison his master.
* VeryLooselyBasedOnATrueStory: The play deviates from history somewhat egregiously. Most obviously, Goethe's Götz tragically dies an early death as a middle-aged man while the real Götz lived to a (for the time) biblical age of more than 80.