''Edmond'' is a play in [[OurActsAreDifferent one act]], written by Creator/DavidMamet. It premiered at the Goodman Theatre in Chicago on June 4, 1982, and went to New York that October. It has since been adapted into [[TheMovie a film]] with Creator/WilliamHMacy in the titular role. The plot centers around Edmond Burke, a white-collar worker in New York City, who decides on a whim to leave his wife and embark on a journey through the seedy underbelly of the city. It all goes downhill from there.
Contains examples of:
* FortuneTeller (Edmond visits one in the first scene of the play, immediately before leaving his wife.)
* GainaxEnding (To some.)
* NamelessNarrative (Apart from Edmond and a waitress/would-be actress named Glenna, none of the characters are named.)
* PrisonRape (Done to Edmond by none other than a...)
* RemonstratingWithAGun: The movie Edmond has a sick subversion. During his mid-life crisis, Edmond breaks up with his wife and goes on a nightlong quest for redemption. He picks up a waitress at a bar and sleeps with her. Earlier in the night, he purchased a knife from a pawn shop, for protection, and uses the knife to stab a pimp who tried to rob him. Edmond is in the waitress' apartment, raving and ranting about... whatever. All the while, he's waving the knife around to emphasize his point. To make a long story short, he ends up brutally stabbing her to death in a fit of rage.
* ScaryBlackMan (The one in prison is the most notable, but there are others.)
* UnintentionalPeriodPiece: Maybe people weren't aware of how dangerous New York City was in the early 80's but at this point it's been done so often that it's a SeinfeldIsUnfunny situation.
* WalkingTheEarth (Well, walking the less pleasant parts of New York City anyway.)