''Accidental Death of an Anarchist'' is a farce by by the Nobel Prize winning playwright Dario Fo.
The play opens with Inspector Bertozzo interrogating The Maniac, a histrionic character, on the first floor of the police station. The Maniac, however, constantly outsmarts the dim-witted Bertozzo and, when Bertozzo leaves the room, intercepts a phone call from Inspector Pissani. The phone call lets the Maniac know that a judge is due at the police station to investigate the interrogation and death of the anarchist. The Maniac decides to impersonate the judge, and successfully does so. He gets the police to re-enact the events, in the actual fourth floor room, and also involves a woman journalist named Feletti who is trying to probe the events. The play ends with two alternative endings, one with Feletti leaving the four policemen to be bombed and in the second, Feletti uncuffs the men who in turn handcuff her to the window frame leaving her to die. The Maniac then leaves the audience to decide what ending is best.
* AudienceParticipation: The Maniac invites the audience to choose which ending they prefer.
* BombThrowingAnarchists: What the Anarchist of the title is alleged to have been, and what The Maniac comes across as.
* TheCoronerDothProtestTooMuch: The Anarchist died after "falling" out of the window of the police station where he was being interrogated. Interestingly enough, it was based on RealLife.
* EveryoneCallsHimBarkeep: The Maniac
* EyepatchOfPower: The Maniac
* GlassEye: A RunningGag involves The Maniac pretending to lose a glass eye (he doesn't actually have a glass eye) and everyone else stopping to look for it.
* TheInspectorIsComing: The Maniac is able to pull off his impersonation because the police are expecting the visit of a judge to investigate the death.
* MistakenForSpecialGuest: As none of the police have met the judge, they are all willing to believe that the Maniac is him.
* ObfuscatingDisability: The Maniac wears an eyepatch despite having two functioning eyes. He pretends to lose a GlassEye as a distraction several times.
* PosthumousCharacter: The Anarachist of the title is dead at the start of the play, and never actually appears.