* Jade deciding to make a HeroicSacrifice and let herself be banished so that her family and friends wonít share her fate is just [[DownerBeginning ''heartwrenching'']].
** Jade saying goodbye to Jackie makes it even ''worse'', especially when Viper realizes what sheís about to do, but canít do anything to stop Jade from letting go a second later. The last thing Jade hears before she gets sucked in is Jackie crying out her name.
* Jade regaining control from the Queen and begging for help is pretty sad.
** It gets ''worse'' when Elyonís powers nearly ''kill'' her, and after Elyon stops, she weakly cries out for Jackie, Uncle and Tohru before succumbing to unconsciousness.
* The "Mageís" BlatantLies about Jade being an evil shapeshifter nearly get her locked up (and it was intended to be for ''life''). You can easily feel her distress over the situation.
* Miranda is truly sad about having to leave [[EvenEvilHasLovedOnes Cedric]] behind (though she hides it well).
* Gargoyle is apparently TheLastOfHisKind: Phobos ordered the others to be exterminated, [[KickTheDog for no other reason than to prevent Elyon from discovering that they served him]].
* Mirandaís thoughts reveal that she used to have a better view of friendship, but while we donít know what caused that view to change, it must have been terrible.
** When she was [[UsedToBeASweetKid just five years old]], her (ordinary human) parents were burned at stake by [[KnightTemplar Kur]] just because they [[MamaBear wouldn't]] [[PapaWolf let]] him [[FantasticRacism kill her along with other shapeshifters]]. He captures her by using [[YouSaidYouWouldLetThemGo false promises of letting her parents go if she gives herself in]]. And if that wasn't bad enough, he [[ForcedToWatch forces her to watch]] their death while [[KickTheDog belittling her the entire time]]. No wonder that girl is [[WoobieDestroyerOfWorlds so]] [[FreudianExcuse messed up]].
* Drake ([[OnlySaneMan one of the more sane rebel leaders]]) is one of the few who doesn't doubt the Royal Guard's [[MookFaceTurn reformation]]. Then - just when the reconstruction of Sonder Hill is going well - he's left behind when the Knights capture [[TheAtoner Tynar]], helpless to stop them.