* Jaden trapped in the mind of the Supreme King. The happy-go-lucky hero who's reaction to immensely powerful harbingers of doom and darkness have ranged from comedic to inspirational is trapped in a perpetual DespairEventHorizon where he's unaware of [[spoiler: the horrible things the Supreme King is using his body to do]], and where [[spoiler: he can only wallow in self-loathing as he blames himself for his friends' apparent deaths.]]
* The above entry is so traumatic for him that he spends almost the entirety of the final season as a cynical HurtingHero. He rarely spends time with his friends, almost never smiles, only duels--his passion and most joy-inducing pastime--when doing so is absolutely necessary when it comes to saving the world.
* The other BrokenAce, Ryou/Zane, was just as heartbreaking. Used to be respectful despite his stoic and aloof behavior, he finally [[FreakOut snapped]] after a humiliating loss and [[BloodKnight willing to do anything]] to [[SeriousBusiness achieve victory]] even at the expense of [[KickTheDog his little brother]]. [[spoiler: He gets better, but it's still sad to see the once respectable Kaiser bounded to a chair.]]
* Edo losing the duel and his life to Amon by Exodia. The first thing Edo does is make sure his friends can escape before saying goodbye to Judai, and this is all after Edo tried to save an innocent person Echo from being murdered by Amon.
* Zane dying in season 3. He comes back in season 4 though.
* The flashback of a young Yusuke Fujiwara losing his parents at the morgue and Honest appearing to embrace him.
* [[IKnowYoureInThereSomewhereFight In Jaden's duel to save]] [[BrainwashedAndCrazy Chazz from the Society of Light]], Ojama Yellow, beaten and bruised from repeated attacks, breaks down into tears.
** Turns into a heartwarming moment when Chazz breaks free from the mind control and uses his Ojamas again.