* The death of [[spoiler:Rangyoku, Enho's maid]]. Seeing Youko's reaction that bordered on a HeroicBSOD as she cradled [[spoiler:her]] dead body and realized that [[spoiler:the poor girl did her best to hide the [[MacGuffin Seal of Kei]], which she did successfully but it ultimately got her killed]], didn't help.
* Also, Suzu's story. [[BreakTheCutie Poor, poor Suzu.]] Made even worse when [[spoiler:her best friend Seishuu first loses his sight ("Sister... I cannot see anything... I think I'm dying!") and shortly thereafter dies in Youko's arms after being run over by a carriage. Seeing Suzu find his corpse and then weep while holding him...]]
* And when [[spoiler:Shoukei]] stops an innocent man's unfair execution by throwing stones at the killers. What makes it a TearJerker is ''why'' she does it – [[spoiler:she recalled old lady Gobo's story about her son being killed by Shoukei's father for ''doing exactly the same thing''.]]
* Yuka wasn't the most likeable character, but [[spoiler:her goodbye to Youko as she returns home]] and [[spoiler:her talk with Youko's mother Ritsuko]] were pretty sad for me.
* There's also [[spoiler:Shoryuu]]'s backstory as a [[spoiler:Japanese [[FallenPrincess fallen nobleman]].]] Specifically when [[spoiler:his supporters – old men and the village's wives – come to help him in battle, Naotaka (his human name) screams at them to not come close... and they're totally massacred immediately afterwards.]]