* The revisiting of Asuka's infamous MindRape scene.
* [[spoiler:Kaworu's death]]
-->[[spoiler:'''Shinji''': I'm sorry...]]
-->[[spoiler:'''Kaworu''': Don't be...]]
* After Shinji and Asuka have been in the past for a few days, [[spoiler:Asuka asks Shinji to play their daughter's song on his cello]].
-->[[spoiler:'''Asuka''': Please... Please play her – ''her'' happy song! I need to hear it again!]]
-->[[spoiler:'''Shinji''': I'm sorry. I- I don't think I can. It is supposed to be a happy song after all. But now it wouldn't bring anyone happiness – '''because''' it was hers.]]
-->[[spoiler:'''Asuka''': It would ease '''my''' sadness! I have nothing else from her! I don't have photos of her, I don't have one of her drawings, I don't have Kiko, I- I don't have... *sob* Please. That song... that song is all there's left from her.]]
-->[[spoiler:'''Shinji''': I'm sorry.]]
* All the tearing up can be summed up in one word: [[spoiler:"Mama...?"]]
** "Smile when you're happy. Cry when you're sad. [[spoiler:And do both when you're happier than you've ever been.]]"
* When Shinji and Misato try to stop Ritsuko from destroying the Dummy System, Rei unexpectedly shows up and picks up Ritsuko's remote. After explaining why her spare bodies [[NotEvenHuman cannot be considered as human beings]] due to their lack of a soul — and commenting somberly about how, unlike her, they are spared from the [[HumansAreFlawed burden of human feelings]] —, she then proceeds to destroy them herself, to the surprise of everyone present.
-->'''Shinji''': Rei... What have you done?
-->'''Rei''': I have... [[MercyKill set them free...]] ''*sheds a SingleTear*''