[[caption-width-right:350:[[http://jimmywolk.studenten-froendenberg.de/eng/nge.php?2nd.survive "Shinji, you can't go everywhere and take care of every living thing," Asuka spoke seriously behind him as if she had read his mind. "You can't save everyone..."]]]]
* The revisiting of Asuka's infamous MindRape scene.
* [[spoiler:Kaworu's death]]
-->[[spoiler:'''Shinji''': I'm sorry...]]
-->[[spoiler:'''Kaworu''': [[ObiWanMoment Don't be...]]]]
* After Shinji and Asuka have been in the past for a few days, [[spoiler:Asuka asks Shinji to play their daughter's song on his cello]].
-->[[spoiler:'''Asuka''': Please... Please play her – ''her'' happy song! I need to hear it again!]]
-->[[spoiler:'''Shinji''': I'm sorry. I- I don't think I can. It is supposed to be a happy song after all. But now it wouldn't bring anyone happiness – '''because''' it was hers.]]
-->[[spoiler:'''Asuka''': It would ease '''my''' sadness! I have nothing else from her! I don't have photos of her, I don't have one of her drawings, I don't have Kiko, I- I don't have... *sob* Please. That song... that song is all there's left from her.]]
-->[[spoiler:'''Shinji''': I'm sorry.]]
* All the tearing up can be summed up in one word: [[spoiler:"Mama...?"]]
** "Smile when you're happy. Cry when you're sad. [[spoiler:[[TearsOfJoy And do both when you're happier than you've ever been]].]]"
* When Shinji and Misato try to stop Ritsuko from destroying the Dummy System, Rei unexpectedly shows up and picks up Ritsuko's remote. After explaining why her spare bodies [[NotEvenHuman cannot be considered as human beings]] due to their lack of a soul — and commenting somberly about how, unlike her, they are spared from the [[HumansAreFlawed burden of human feelings]] —, she then proceeds to destroy them herself, to the surprise of everyone present.
-->'''Shinji''': Rei... What have you done?
-->'''Rei''': I have... [[MercyKill set them free...]] ''*sheds a SingleTear*''
* When Shinji gets absorbed into his EVA in chapter 5:
--> And while the berserk monster slashed out at its opponent to kill it and to devour its remains, annexing a power that went beyond anything it possessed; while a young woman vomited and her colleagues just stared in shock; while two conspirators pondered about the consequences of this beginning and while another man just seemed to water his patch of melons in the distance, a teenage girl wept silently for a loss she couldn't even see, but could only feel in her heart.
* Rei III experiencing CloningBlues in chapter 9.