[[caption-width-right:350: Oh, [[FragileFlower Bubbles...]][[note]]Another reason this counts is how the fandom would bring this scene up when they call out [[JerkassWoobie Buttercup]] for her actions, believe it or not.[[/note]] ]]
[[folder: Western Animation/The Powerpuff Girls Movie ]]
* [[TearJerker/ThePowerpuffGirlsMovie See here.]]
[[folder: The Show ]]
* The episode "Twisted Sister" is utterly heart-wrenching. The girls try to make a fourth Powerpuff Girl, and because they substitute some ingredients, their new sister Bunny turns out a little... special. She tries very hard to fight crime, but never gets it right... [[spoiler: until the end, where she saves her sisters and then explodes. The other three girls feel horrible, because the last thing they told her was "Bunny do bad!" and that she wasn't cut out to be a Powerpuff Girl]]. Even TheNarrator cried as he was [[DownerEnding closing the show]], complete with a heartrending sad version of the Powerpuff Girls outro playing in the background.
-->'''Bubbles:''' She was good after all. ''We'' were the ones who were bad.
** This particular tear-jerker was so potent that it was even used in ''PowerpuffGirlsDoujinshi'' as part of Blossom's DarkAndTroubledPast.
** Also one of two examples of [[spoiler: KilledOffForReal]] (along with "Knock It Off," mentioned below).[[note]]'''Narrator:''' *tearfully* And for the first, and final time, the day is saved thanks to Powerpuff Bunny. -Cue HarsherInHindsight picture of Bunny smiling proudly-[[/note]]
** [[spoiler: It's made even worse with the death of Bunny's voice actress, Creator/ChristineCavanaugh, in 2014.]]
** [[spoiler: Most explosions in this series are loud. Not Bunny's, though. It's very heartbreakingly silent.]]
* The ending of the episode "Knock It Off". TheProfessor bursts into Dick's factory as he's slowly killing the girls by draining their Chemical X. He [[PleaseIWillDoAnything desperately pleads for the lives of his daughters]], but Dick just decides to kill all of them! As his army of grotesque, monstrous clones take the Professor away, he tearfully tells the girls that he loves them, and they weakly manage to say, "[[PlatonicDeclarationOfLove We love you, too]]," before passing out. After seeing this heartwrenching good-bye, the clones turn on Dick, release the girls, and tell the Professor to run before the factory burns down. He escapes as the factory explodes in the background, killing all of the deformed clones, and cries over the apparently dead bodies of his daughters before they come around.
** The part where the clones gang up on Dick. As creepy and misshapen as they were, they didn't deserve to be mistreated by Dick so much...
-->'''Blossom clone''': [[MistreatmentInducedBetrayal You never gave us love!]]
-->'''Buttercup clone''': [[WoobieDestroyerOfWorlds Where was our love!?]]
-->'''Dick''': Get back! I am your MASTER!
-->'''Bubbles clone''': [[StarWars Only a master of evil]], Dick!
-->'''Dick''': NO, NO, NOOOOO! (''collapses onto a piece of machinery and bursts into flames'')
-->'''Blossom clone''': (''[[HeelFaceTurn releases the girls and the Professor]]'') Get out. [[RedemptionEqualsDeath Before it's too late]]...
** One moment that stands out was a bit earlier, when the Professor challenges Dick to fight him. [[CurbStompBattle It doesn't go over so well.]]
** When the professor cries, it doesn't sound like someone acting; it sounds like a father crying over losing his daughters. It sounds ''real''.
* In "Tough Love", when Him replaces the town's love for the girls with hate. When the girls (who were then unaware) came to see the Professor, well...let's say it wasn't pretty.
** The entire episode is hard to watch, actually. Seeing the city, which normally is ''incredibly'' friendly despite all that it goes through, torment the girls is ''heartbreaking.'' It's especially bad when '''[[TheFourthWallWillNotProtectYou The Narrator]]''', who is probably one of the nicest, happiest characters on the show, snaps at them. The horror and shock on the girls is [[http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/screen_shot_2015_08_03_at_73942_pm.jpg all too evident.]]
-->'''The Narrator:''' "Oh for crying out loud, would you three shut up for once!? Always crying and moaning about something... sheesh, you give me a headache!"
* There's one moment in "Octi Evil" when Blossom and Buttercup are arguing and it slowly pans over to Bubbles crying alone in their room.
* "Helter Shelter", when Bubbles says goodbye to the baby whale.
-->'''Bubbles''':(sniffles) I'll miss you.
* "Little Miss Interprets": Upon thinking the Professor wants to replace the girls with new ones, we see Blossom and Bubbles crying. Buttercup fights the urge to cry and eventually gives in.
** The following line from Bubbles:
-->'''Bubbles''': (''to the Professor'') But...I love you...DAD!
* "The City Of Frownsville" has all of the city crying after Lou Gubrious sets his sadness ray on them.
** The fact that it ends with a tribute to those who died during the terrorist attacks on 9/11, which preceded this episode's airing.
* The beginning of "Mommy Fearest" which shows that the Professor, much as he loves his girls, is a very lonely man.
** And later when the Professor reluctantly grounds the girls. You can just feel the tremor in his voice. You can't help but feel sorry for ''him'' too.
* "Speed Demon". The moment it kicks in for the girls that Townsville being in ruins was ultimately ''[[NiceJobBreakingItHero THEIR]]'' fault for being gone so long...
-->'''Buttercup''': [[LittleNo No]]...[[BigNo NOOO]]!
-->'''Bubbles''': (''grabbing both of her pigtails and crying'') [[BigWhy WHYYYYY???!!!]]
-->'''Blossom''': (''sounding absolutely heartbroken'') [[MyGodWhatHaveIDone Wh-what have we done?]]
** Especially as the citizen's chant, "It's all your fault!" over and over again in a CreepyMonotone.
** The state the citizens are in isn't any prettier.
*** Professor Utonium is desperately trying to recreate the girls and when he sees them right in front of him, he mistakes them for hallucinations, implying that he regularly hallucinates that his missing daughters have returned to him.
*** Ms. Bellum is crying in the ruins of town hall, holding the Mayor's hat and sash and recounting over and over how she begged him to call the Girls during HIM's takeover. It's implied that the Mayor was murdered (presumably ''right in front of Ms. Bellum'') by HIM. At this point, she's so far gone that she doesn't even recognize the Girls and demands that they stay away from the Mayor's remains, screaming that the Mayor is "hers and hers alone".
*** Ms. Keane is left standing where she stood when the girls left, chanting "I was just standing there waving goodbye and they raced off..." [[MadnessMantra over and over and over again]]...before ending it with "...for fifty years...fifty years...fifty years..."
* The girls' DisneyDeath in "The Rowdyruff Boys", arguably peaking when the narrator can't believe it.
-->'''Narrator:''' No... no... say it isn't so... say it isn't true... say anything, girls... (voice breaking) But please don't say goodbye...
** The girls coming back to life and telling everyone that they're no longer fit to be heroes because they failed to stop the Rowdyruff Boys and decide that they have no choice but to leave Townsville. Fortunately, Ms. Bellum convinces them to stay.
* A scene from "Neighbor Hood" where Blossom and Buttercup reveal to Bubbles that her favorite TV show is nothing but a set and actors.
* Buttercup full-stop, if you think about it long enough. First of all, the professor had no good reason officially to name her Buttercup other than that it begins with "B". Second, she has no unique power [[spoiler: (and tongue-rolling doesn't count)]]. Finally, nobody really pays her any attention, and even when they do, it's usually when she's in trouble. Even some fans never seemed to care much, instead opting to exploit her misery and attitude for kicks and giggles. Especially since she tends to be remembered as "the bitchy one".
** In addition to all of that, Buttercup tends to be the victim of DisproportionateRetribution, despite that most of her misbehavior is ''typical'' of children her and her sisters' age.
* In the "Boys Are Back in Town" the Rowdyruff are revived by him and being immune to the Powerpuff Girls kisses, they proceed to [[NoHoldsBarredBeatdown beat the crap out of them]] until they are in too much pain to move. The Rowdyruff Boys then go one step too far and put a giant slug down Bubble's dress. After they do that she is clearly suffering and tries to keep from crying which was really sad. On the bright side [[spoiler: this is what motivated Buttercup to find the Rowdyruff Boys' new weakness.]]
* The episode "Buttercrush". It's a little hard not to feel bad for Buttercup when she realizes Ace was toying with her feelings all along. Even during her NoHoldsBarredBeatdown to them, you can tell she's truly heartbroken.
** Even worse, the ONLY thing she says in the ENTIRE episode is "I'm sorry." And that's at the very end to Bubbles and Blossom.
* Did ''anybody'' wanna hug all three girls in "Sweet 'N Sour" when the Fluffy Bunch managed to turn all of Townsville against them with their "adorable" crimes, since the girls were the only ones who saw through the animals' cute exterior?
* The ending of "Candy is Dandy"; the girls' addiction to candy has become so extreme that they pummel Mojo Jojo worse than they'd even beaten him before, to the point where even Mojo was ''crying and whimpering in terror for his life!'' Cue a MASSIVE MyGodWhatHaveIDone realization.
* The ending of "A Very Special Blossom". Even though it was wrong for Blossom to steal the golf clubs and she did have to be punished for it, you can't help but feel sorry for her.
** How the Professor treats Bubbles and Buttercup after Blossom reveals the golf-clubs. He basically forgets they're even in the room and doesn't even eat the breakfast they made for him.
* In "All Chalked Up" when Buttercup destroys the chalk. Bubbles's reaction is super tragic and horrifying. Her loud, scary sounding InelegantBlubbering sounds NOTHING like it normally does. It sounds like real actual crying. A lot of fans did not take that well. And to top it all off, Buttercup ''is smiling the entire time when Bubbles is bawling.'' It even provides the page image. Try watching it without feeling bad for Bubbles.
* In "Ploys R Us' when the Professor seemingly dies after being shot. The girls' reaction to this is so sad!
--> '''Girls:''' (sobbing) It's our fault! [[ItsAllMyFault It's all our fault!]]
* In "See Me, Feel Me, Gnomey", the Girls are fighting all of the villains. They get easily defeated by them. So when The Powerpuff Girls sing this really sad song called "Rain". And if you look closely at their eyes when they are singing in the rain, you will see that they are ''crying.'' Sniff.
** It becomes even worse when you find out that Townsville is hardly ever peaceful for long, and the Girls just need a break from this madness.
* The 2009 special "The Powerpuff Girls Rule" has the scene where Mojo Jojo gives up on trying to conquer the world and chooses to shut down his volcano lair and move out of Townsville while we hear him singing the Tears for Fears song Everybody Wants to Rule the World. It's pretty depressing to see Mojo feel so defeated and hopeless.
** [[FridgeHorror It becomes even worse when you realize what he wanted to do with the world. He's basically giving up hope for a perfect world.]]
* The girls getting a pet called Beebo, but the Professor warns them to only feed him once. The girls misunderstand and each of them feed him separately. Beebo gets bigger and bigger and out of control until he eats too much and explodes. The girls say a very sad, "Beebo went boom..."
* The episode "Super Friends." Watching Robin in all of her loneliness as the Powerpuff Girls ditch her to save the day is enough to bring a tear to your eye, especially if you were a kid who had been abandoned by friends before.
* A small one, but when the judge starts sentencing the Powerpuff Girls to one million years in Townsville Correctional Facility for bank robbery in the What a Cartoon! short "Crime 101", he is visibly distraught when the girls sadly plead guilty and confirm that they really did rob the bank (which they only did to teach the Amoeba Boys how to do so properly) and clearly wishes he didn't have to punish the girls for their crime. Fortunately, the Amoeba Boys end up taking the blame.