[[caption-width-right:250:Will there be another dawn?]]
There were moments of sadness within ''The Lorax'' itself.
!!The TV special
* The TV special has the Once-ler arguing with himself about destroying the Truffula Trees, and eventually he rationalizes that if he didn't do it someone else would.
* From the TV special version, near the end, we hear the song the Once-ler sings to the boy.
--> '''Boy''': What's an "unless"?
--> '''Once-ler''': (singing) Just a far away word...just a far away thought...
--> '''Boy''': A thought? About what? About something I ought?
--> '''Once-ler''': Well...(singing) A thought about something that somebody ought...a thought about something that somebody ought.
* All three scenes of the animals in the TV special in their own right. The Barbeloots song as they leave is creepy and depressing, and the Swomee Swans leaving just takes this to a whole new level. The fish leaving isn't as sad as the first two, however it still has the impression that they are no longer able to live there.
** But most of all, the Oncelers family leaving. The song they sing is an absolutely heartwrenching reprise of Jolly Good Onceler.
* From the film version itself, after the last tree is cut down, [[spoiler:he is not only told by his mom that he was a big disappointment, but all the forest friends he had looked sadly at him (even Pipsqueak himself). Still trying desperately to win them back after all that happens, he even offers the little bear a marshmallow, though the little tyke, with sadness in his eyes, only turns away. And then comes when the Lorax himself lifts himself up to the sky, leaving behind the stone that says "unless".]] Just, the entire scene here.
* The fall of the first tree: Partly the music, and partly the dramatic camera angles, but the scene is reminiscent of the end of a boss from Shadow Of The Colossus. We cannot help but feel that something terrible has happened, and that something beautiful has died, with no way of bringing it back...
* This exchange, though sarcastic at first, makes you realize just how lonely the Once-ler's been...
-->'''Once-ler:''' Aww, you missed me.
-->'''Once-ler:''' Well, you're already back. Clearly, you missed me. A little. ''(voice trembles slightly)'' Right?
* The scene in which Audrey [[spoiler:comes back to her house to add onto her mural and finds it was painted over with a spray painted "Courtesy of O'Hare Inc."]]
* "Thank you, Ted."
* "That's it. The very last one. That may stop you." While anyone who's read the book knew it was coming, the way the last chop is portrayed is very poignant. [[MyGodWhatHaveIDone It's the look... the ''look'' on the Once-ler's face when he's knocked out of his comfort zone and shown just ''what'' his "glorious" Thneed company has created.]]
* The ending scene where [[spoiler:The Lorax returns and the Once-ler hugs him.]]