!!!1x01 & 1x02; ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S1E1RiseOfTheTurtlesPart1 Rise of the Turtles, Part 1]], [[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S1E2RiseOfTheTurtlesPart2 Part 2]]''
* Splinter's back-story. People familiar with previous versions would know the details, but to make it worse, [[spoiler:Splinter also had a daughter]].
** [[spoiler: It gets worse: the daughter didn't die. Shredder raised her as his own and raised her to ''hate'' Splinter.]]
** When Donatello pleads his case, Splinter looks at a picture of him and his previous family and we hear in Splinter's mind a fire, wooding creaking and falling and finally Splinter screaming in pain. This scene reminding Splinter of the worst night of his life
!!!1x03; ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S1E3TurtleTemper Turtle Temper]]''
* Splinter's flashback and the fact that he fears if Raph continues on like this he could end up like Splinter.
!!!1x04; ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S1E4NewFriendOldEnemy New Friend, Old Enemy]]''
* Michelangelo sounded so hurt when he found out that he was being used by Bradford. He so badly wanted to prove he coul be friends with a human, and instead ends up captured by the Foot for it. "Rad Brad..."
* Shredder looking at a picture of him and Splinter showing a time when they were the best friends and not the bitterest of enemies.
!!!1x05; ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S1E5IThinkHisNameIsBaxterStockman I Think His Name is Baxter Stockman]]''
!!!1x06; ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S1E6Metalhead Metalhead]]''
!!!1x07; ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S1E7MonkeyBrains Monkey Brains]]''
** Poor Rockwell; he didn't ask to be mutated and have Falco take away his life.
** Falco's telling Donatello that he has no chance with April is pretty harsh.
!!!1x08; ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S1E8NeverSayXever Never Say Xever]]''
!!!1x09; ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S1E9TheGauntlet The Gauntlet]]''
* The ending, where the turtles have been horribly beaten by the Shredder and the fact that April sees her dad only for him to help the turtles escape and have the Kraang take him away again.
!!!1x10; ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S1E10PanicInTheSewers Panic in the Sewers]]''
* [[spoiler: Splinter's]] nightmare, where [[spoiler: in short, the turtles are all killed by the Shredder]].
!!!1x11; ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S1E11MousersAttack Mousers Attack!]]''
!!!1x12; ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S1E12ItCameFromTheDepths It Came From the Depths]]''
* Poor Leatherhead is unable to control his freak-outs and ends up hurting Mikey, the ''only'' person who believes he's good. When Splinter tells him to leave, he does so without any hesitation...
!!!1x13; ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S1E13IMonster I, Monster]]''
* Splinter realizes that everything he had is gone, his family, his ninja clan, and even his humanity.
** Not just that, but what sends Splinter over the edge--what makes him really lose it--is the thought of his children no longer needing him. He's watched his wife die, and lost his daughter, but the idea of losing his sons is what makes him give up hope. And the worst part is, the boys ARE going to grow up. Them not needing Splinter could very well become a reality one day.
** You can hear the crack and despair in his voice as he says this Soliloquy.
** The Rat King using Splinter's memory of the night he lost everything.
--> '''Splinter''': No, I am a man. I am ''Hamato Yoshi!''
!!!1x14; ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S1E14NewGirlInTown New Girl In Town]]''
* There's something sad about Leonardo feeling weighed down by TheChainsOfCommanding, and the only people who give him any kind of real sympathy are Mikey and Karai. Even his father says that leadership is about responsibility and that he should just tough it out.
!!!1x15; ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S1E15TheAlienAgenda The Alien Agenda]]''
--->'''Leo''': I trusted you!
--->'''Karai''': I know! That's messed up, right?
!!!1x16; ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S1E16ThePulverizer The Pulverizer]]''
!!!1x17; ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S1E17TCRI TCRI]]''
* Leatherhead's HeroicSacrifice. To say the Turtles did not take it well would be an understatement.
!!! 1x20; ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S1E20EnemyOfMyEnemy Enemy Of My Enemy]]''
* Karai looks genuinely upset and betrayed [[spoiler: when the Turtles go back on their word and attack Shredder.]]
!!! 1x21; ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S1E21KaraisVendetta Karai's Vendetta]]''
* April complains about her life during her fight with Karai. She's failing trigonometry, her friends are mutants, aliens are holding her dad hostage, and she lost her mother.
** What makes it worse was that Karai was caught off guard when April mentioned her mother, implying that she has some troubles with her own MissingMom.
*** This becomes HarsherInHindsight when we find out that [[spoiler: she's actually Splinter and Tang Shen's daughter]].
** Also at the very end of the episode: [[spoiler: April has to go into hiding as both the Kraang and Shredder are now after her. Forced out of her old life because of forces beyond her control or will. That hurts.]]
!!! 1x22 ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S1E22PulverizerReturns Pulverizer Returns]]''
* Pulverizer, wanting so bad to be a hero, [[spoiler: intentionally exposes himself to the mutagen. Instead of making him into an humanoid animal, it painfully turns him into a blob monster, who mindlessly lashes out at his surroundings until the turtles can trap him. Yes, he was an idiot and it was his own fault, but geez man, he didn't deserve ''that''! Things like that shouldn't happen to comic relief!]]
!!! 1x25&26 ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S1E25BooyakaShowdownPart1 Booyaka]]'' ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S1E26BooyakaShowdownPart2 Showdown]]''
* April finding out that [[spoiler: the foot have brainwashed her father]]
* Splinter's mission against the Shredder is chalk full of these. Perhaps the biggest one of all being that [[spoiler: his own daughter considers him her worst enemy because she thinks ''he'' killed her mother.]] The look of pain on his face is easily palpable as he flees.
** Also, his look of shock when the Shredder [[spoiler: tells him about how he stole his daughter away]].
** The worst part for one moment [[spoiler: Karai almost recognized her birth name when Splinter says Miwa]] but then tells Splinter her name is Karai.
** And to add salt to the wound Shredder is laughing at pain he is causing, at what could be the second worst night of Hamato Yoshi's life.
** Not to mention the pain and anger in Karai's voice when Splinter retreats and she yells "Coward! Why won't you fight me!?" Her MissingMom situation has really affected her emotionally. [[spoiler:One can only imagine her reaction if she ever finds out the truth, realizes that she's been lied to her entire life, and that she tried to kill her ''real'' father.]]
* There's something inherently sad about seeing Splinter embrace his inner rat to defeat Shredder. Half a season ago, his turtle sons brought him back by reminding him of his humanity away from rats. And now, in a moment of rage, he embraced the rat just so he could survive.
** On the other hand, it can also be seen as a CrowningMomentOfAwesome. Instead of fearing the rat, he's achieved synthesis. See [[WesternAnimation/BeastWars Tigatron]].
*** But on that point a small part of Hamato Yoshi died when he decided to stop fighting like a Man and fight like a rat.
*** The music playing during Splinter's HeroicSecondWind is not triumphant but tragic, this no good vs. evil battle this was a man who lost everything fighting to kill a man who was once a brother.
* Leonardo's [[spoiler: HeroicSacrifice to stop Kraang Prime. The way Raph calls Leonardo's name as the escape pod he's in drifts away is just heartbreaking.]]
!!! 2X1 ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S2E1TheMutationSituation The Mutation Situation]]''
* [[spoiler: Kirby O Neil getting transformed into a bat monster and April trying in vain to talk to him]]
** [[spoiler: Then April getting angry at the turtles (for being indirectly responsible for Kirby becoming a monster) and saying she never wants to see them again]].
* After [[spoiler: he's been transformed and gone feral he attacks April who's forced to hit her own father in self-defense and he stops. His human side briefly regains control, and you can see in his eyes that he can't believe he just attacked his own daughter.]]
!!!2x3 ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S2E3FollowTheLeader FollowTheLeader]]''
* Raphael's [[ItsAllMyFault reaction]] to [[spoiler: Leo getting captured.]]
* Leo's insecurities about whether or not he's a good leader are once again brought up.
* Anything to do with Yoshi and Miwa this episode.
!!!2x4 ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S2E4MutagenManUnleashed Mutagen Man Unleashed]]''
* Pulverizer's SanitySlippage and Leo [[LampshadeHanging acknowledging it]].
-->'''Leo''': Donnie, whatever, Pulverizer...Timothy, was, is gone now.
** All segments with him in general this episode. After hearing Donnie lamenting how he misses April, he breaks free and tries to go find her. But the attacks from The Police, Casey, and The Turtles only made him go more crazy.
** Donnie's final words to him in the episode.
-->'''Donnie''': Don't worry my friend. One day, I'll find a cure.
** Pulverizer/Mutagen Man's final words are heartbreaking. Donnie manages to finally take him down with a sort of petrifying goop that was disguised as mutagen, as as he freezes he seems to regain some of his sanity.
--> '''Pulverizer''': Donnie, there's something wrong...!
* April still being upset at the turtles and even refusing herself to help them fight Mutagen Man.
* Every scene in which Donnie deals with April meeting Casey, especially the first time he sees them together and we see an ImagineSpot of his whole body shattering, and later during the fight with Mutagen Man when Leo casually refers to Casey as April's boyfriend, making Donnie wince. It's painful to watch, especially for anyone who was ever the geeky awkward friend that had to watch his unrequited crush meet someone else.
!!!2x6 ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S2E6TargetAprilONeil Target: April O'Neil]]''
* Casey's story of how he lost his best friend due to accidentally hitting him in the face with a hockey stick.
!!!2x7 ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S2E7SlashAndDestroy Slash and Destroy]]''
* Slash [[spoiler: falling off the building]] with Raph's anguished SayMyName. Later, [[spoiler: it turns out he survived the fall and disappeared]]. Then we see Raph holding a leaf he fed Spike in sorrow. The look on his face shows how heartbroken he is that [[spoiler: his pet turned into a savage beast and left him]].
* You want to know how this can be even sadder some owners see their pets as their kids. In a way Raph lost his child when he lost Spike.
* The fact that he lost Spike by having him turn against him parallel to Splinter with Karai.
* Splinter's advice to Raphael reveals that he still feels the pain of losing his family.
* Most of this episode is also a tearjerker if one looks at it from Slash's perspective. It's clear that his actions make him come off more as a WellIntentionedExtremist. However, after Raph calls him out on what he did to Donnie and Mikey, there is a slight pause before he lets out a monstrous roar signifying a prime of example of ThenLetMeBeEvil as Slash only did what he did for Raph's sake and is hurt that the person that treated him as a friend for so many years essentially called him a monster.
!!!2x11 ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S2E11MetalheadRewired Metalhead Rewired]]''
* Metalhead's ShootTheShaggyDog-ness in the episode overall. [[spoiler: Metalhead has finally been upgraded with intelligence in order to work alongside the Turtles, only for them to not trust him due to how much of a 3rd wheel he winds up becoming. Realizing this, Metalhead leaves on his own to take care of the mission by himself to show the turtles he was on their side the whole time, not only rescuing ALL the mutants and the turtles, but also [[HeroicSacrifice destroying himself in order to ensure the Kraang would not find another way to get back to Earth]]]]. The ending implies that Donatello will fix him again, but it really makes the viewers feel for Metalhead's loyalty to his team and creator.
** Leo's constant raging on Metalhead sure didn't help, by the time Metalhead leaves the lair. It seemed like Leo had been waiting for a chance to force Donnie to dismantle him.
!!!2x13&14 ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S2E13TheManhattanProject The Manhattan Project]]''
* [[spoiler: Splinter's interactions with Karai in this episode. He tries so hard to tell her that Shredder is really responsible for all that's happened, but she won't believe him.]]
* [[spoiler: Sure everyone makes it out okay, but the Turtles having to see Splinter have an unfair rematch against the Shredder in his weakest state was hard to watch. For this troper, he had no idea if Splinter was going to actually make it through this episode.]]
!!!2x15''[[http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S2E15MazesAndMutants Mazes and Mutants ]]''
* In spite of the episode's comedy, one can not help but feel sorry for Sir Malachi. All he wanted was someone to play with him.
* Also in the turtles' fight with the dragon, when Mikey [[spoiler: thought that Leatherhead was actually back...]] His attempts to [[spoiler: make "Leatherhead" snap out of his rage]] is just heartbreaking.
!!!2x16 ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S2E16LonelyMutationOfBaxterStockman Lonely Mutation of Baxter Stockman]]''
* Baxter's reaction to his mutation.
-->'''Baxter''': What am I? I'm nothing anymore. I'm a freak. I'll never taken seriously as scientist.
* Mikey subtly admitting that he had no faith that the retromutagen would work before Raph gave him a DopeSlap.
!!!2x19 ''[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S2E19TheWrathOfTigerClaw The Wrath of Tiger Claw]]''
* That whole episode is one for Karai. She learns that basically her whole life has been a lie. [[spoiler: Not only is the man whom she believed to be her father responsible for her mother's death, he also kidnapped her and fueled her hatred against her real father. Her shock and facial expressions upon learning the truth are just ''heartbreaking'']].
** And it doesn't stop there. [[spoiler: At the end of the episode Tiger Claw manages to defeat Karai, takes her hostage and brings her back to Shredder. Still somewhat hoping it was all just a lie, she asks him if Splinter really is her father. What does Shredder do? He [[BluntYes bluntly says "Yes"]] and orders Tiger Claw to take her away. The episode ends with Karai getting thrown into a cell, left alone and begging to be let out]]. Even all her nasty behaviour in previous episodes considered, it's very hard not to feel sorry for the poor girl.
* Mikey's condition after the battle with Tiger Claw. He is badly beaten up, has bruises all over his body, many scratches in his plastron and is barely conscious anymore.
* There's a brief moment in Tiger Claw's flashback where we see him actually defeating the 1987 Ninja Turtles. We've seen them go through a lot AND they even took on the Shredder from the 2003 series and managed to help defeat him as well. To see that Tiger Claw had defeated all four turtles really badly before his return is very sad to think of.
!!!2x22 "[[Recap/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012S2E22VengeanceIsMine Vengeance is Mine]]"
* We learn that Shredder's clan was wiped out, but was taken in and raised by Splinter's father. Also, Shredder learned about his origins when his jealousy for Tang Shen was boiling.
* [[spoiler: Karai's mutation]]. Everyone knew Splinter wouldn't react well, but the fact that [[spoiler: even '''Shredder''']] was distraught made it even worse.
** [[spoiler: This line from Splinter made it even worse just by the tone in his voice as he holds the mutated Miwa in his arms. Considering Karai's fate in other series has landed her to be always loyal to the Shredder, even here, it's as though the moment we had seen previously between a reunited father and daughter had been snatched away and was now the last time Splinter would ever see his true daughter]].
-->[[spoiler: '''Splinter''': My child...]]
** [[spoiler: To make it even worse, Splinter has now lost not only his wife, but seemingly his daughter twice now. Once when believing she had died when she was a baby in the fire, and now again both times due to the Shredder]].
* The fact [[spoiler:Shredder actually shows grief he redirects at Splinter]] is both this and Nightmare Fuel. [[spoiler:The one thing Shredder has shown love towards that seemed at all genuine is lost to him in a way that is ''entirely'' his own fault...and instead of going MyGodWhatHaveIDone, his thirst for revenge has consumed him ''so'' thoroughly, that the idea this ''isn't'' Splinter's fault is impossible for him to grasp. It shows just how much of Shredder's humanity his thirst for revenge has consumed. Rather than take responsibility for his actions, he can only think to blame the one who he's spent his entire life blaming for his misfortunes. It's both sad and terrifying to see someone so consumed by a grudge as to be incapable of grasping the concept a misfortune of theirs isn't the fault of their enemy.]]