* During ''VideoGame/SuperSmashBros Brawl''. [[spoiler: During the Ancient Minister's HeelFaceTurn. It involves him [[IncendiaryExponent being set on fire]] by his MechaMooks while a somber version of the main theme plays in the background.]]
** Gets even worse when you think about it: HIS OWN KIND HAS TURNED ON HIM.
** Though the following CrowningMomentOfAwesome makes up for it.
** Watching one of the R.O.B.s waved goodbye to the Ancient Minster right before getting blown to smithereens.
*** To put that scene into more detail, [[spoiler: The Ancient Minister is attacked by Mario and Link, with Pit, Yoshi and Kirby not far behind. A group of R.O.Bs come in to help their master and hold the heroes back. As the Minister prepares to leave, he looks down and notices another R.O.B clinging onto him, attempting to drag the Subspace Bomb down to the ground. He succeeds, then he falls with the bomb but his head '''breaks off.''' As two of the remaining R.O.Bs activate it, a third turns to the fleeing Minister, doing the aforementioned wave. The bomb then explodes, showing in full detail the R.O.Bs being pulled in and torn apart.]] ...Wow.
* The codecs, while [[Funny/SuperSmashBros drop dead hilarious]], had one line that was particularly emotional:
--->'''Mei Ling''': Marth was betrayed by his most trusted friend. I can't imagine what that feels like...\\
'''Snake''': ...I can.
* Everybody trying in vain to stop the Island of the Ancients exploding, and combined with the aforementioned HeelFaceTurn.
* All of the characters you obtained after the Meta Ridley battle travel to Subspace where they meet TheManBehindTheMan. [[spoiler:Tabuu unleashes an attack that instantly turns everyone into trophies. The scene plays in slow motion as each character are floating from the attack, with shock and fear in their eyes, and are turned back into trophies one by one. You then see all the characters in trophy form lying on the ground as Tabuu begins to absorb the Smash Bros world. After that, you see Luigi, Ness, and King Dedede who are also trophies and it seems all is lost until Dedede's badges revive Luigi and Ness. Ness then revives King Dedede and he glomps him and Luigi as thanks before they go and rescue everyone]]. OK, so death doesn't totally exist in the Smash Bros world for the main characters, but this comes close for me to welling up.
** Heck, one moment could give a tear of joy to even the most beleagured, fed-up [[SonicTheHedgehog Sonic]] fan: ''[[spoiler: [[CrowningMomentOfAwesome Sonic saves everybody.]] ]]''
* The Ancient Minister has a horrible story, really. [[spoiler: His best friend forces him to use his people (the R.O.B.s) to drag the world into Subspace, sacrificing many of them in the process. When the heroes and the bombs have killed most of the R.O.B.s, Ganondorf orders the remaining ones to blow up the Island of Ancients. When the Minister tries to stop them, Ganondorf provokes them to attack their true master with the press of a button. As the heroes left the island, they brought with them the Ancient Minister, the very last sane R.O.B., and just managed to escape the complete and permanent obliteration of the Island of Ancients, with every last one of the Minister's people and comrades. And, finally, close to the end, the Minister's best friend is mortally wounded when he attempts to attack TheManBehindTheMan.]]
* In the Subspace Emissary, when Lucas is running away from the Porky Statue. The moment he trips and looks at the statue... You can almost ''see'' him thinking: "Crap, not again!" It just looks so hopeless that it made me cry.
** The worse scene with Lucas is when Ness gets turned into a trophy.
* Hearing the Codec with Solid Snake describing Lucas is filled with this. The fact that [[NotSoDifferent Snake himself understands the hardships Lucas has gone through]] is heartbreaking. But this line is enough to make anyone bawl:
-->'''Mei Ling:''' [[HarsherInHindsight I sure hope Lucas will be okay.]]
**Oh Mei Ling, you must not have finished VideoGame/MOTHER3, have you?
* The [[NostalgiaLevel World 1]] stage is a little sad, it's pretty much a barren wasteland by now.
* Reading the translations text to the game's main theme after beating the Subspace Emissary will surely make anyone who has a heart cry. [[LudwigVanBeethoven Especially if you know what influenced the music and text.]]
* [[http://mynintendonews.com/2013/06/18/sakurai-says-character-selection-for-super-smash-bros-is-stressful-almost-to-the-brink-of-death/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter This news from Sakurai in regards to making a character for Smash Bros. It shows he has a heart for his fans. Sure, he may add unexpected characters like the Wii Fit Trainer, but that doesn't mean that he tries to ruin the franchise for his fans, even the ones that constantly ask him for a character in the next installment.]]