!!If you're looking for examples relating to a specific show or movie, see these designated pages:
* In the 2002 movie, the fact that the group not only were separated for two years, but even after all that time still held a grudge is sad for anyone remembering the show for their friendship.
* The conclusion of ''Scooby Doo and the Alien Invasion'', when Shaggy and Scooby say their goodbyes to Crystal and Amber.
-->'''Velma:''' When I said there was someone out there for you, I didn't think...(''looking towards the sky'') out ''there''.
** When asked if they're alright with Crystal and Amber leaving, Shaggy, in the most defeated voice he's ever spoken with, says "Yeah... we're just completely, totally destroyed."
** Suddenly subverted when Velma comes up with a box of Scooby Snacks for them. (The sight of Velma with her glasses askew and her hair mussed up during the tussle for the box is priceless.)
--->'''Velma:''' Well, ''that'' didn't take long!
** Though that may actually have been Shaggy and Scooby trying to cover up how much they're still hurting (combined with HeartbreakAndIceCream). [[SarcasmMode Ain't love fun?]]
* In ''Music Of The Vampire,'' Shaggy thinks he's been bitten by a vampire (he was actually grazed by an errant stake) and seeks refuge in the swamp. He tells Scooby to let him go it alone for fear of turning into a vampire, and this potential split up is heart-tugging. Shaggy can't do it, as he and Scooby suddenly reunite.
* In "Scooby Doo and the Mummy Too" from [[WesternAnimation/ScoobyDooWhereAreYou the original series]], Shaggy is pretty upset when he thinks Scooby's been [[TakenForGranite turned to stone]], as is Scooby when he finds out...."[[NotNowWereTooBusyCryingOverYou Look Scoob, you've been turned to stone!]]" ''(Both proceed to cry)''
* In the Live Action movie, the entire gang splits after Velma quits, leaving only Shaggy and Scooby. Shaggy drives the Mystery Machine away while Scooby looks out the back window for the others, heartbroken.
--->'''Shaggy''': Looks like it's just you and me now, Scoob.
* A meta example is the treatment the franchise gives [[TheScrappy Scrappy Doo]]. He was created as a way to appeal to the younger audiences, but the result ended up backfiring and nearly ''everyone'' hates him. It doesn't help that Creator/CartoonNetwork and Creator/WarnerBros continues to take jabs and jabs at him, despite having a rather small, but strong fanbase. To put the hatred Scrappy gets is...[[FanDumb an understatement]].
** The ''Worst'' part about the above? Scrappy-Doo was created to save the show from cancellation in the seventies. Despite the backlash, he actually managed to give the show the boost it needed to stay afloat. He saved the franchise, and ''this'' is what he gets in return.
** [[http://www.deviantart.com/art/Scrappy-Doo-Boo-Hoo-Hoo-310076321 Haters Gotta Hate...]]
** The sad part about Scrappy is the fact '''nobody''' wants to just improve him in the newer incarnations of the show, they just pretend he doesn't exist, same with Cartoon Network and Warner Bros. just feeding into the HateDom the poor character receives without giving him the CharacterDevelopment treatment. Talk about piss poor...
* From Scooby Apocalypse #1, imagine you're living your life normally. it's just a regular night and you're out hanging with friend/dog/etc, suddenly you're involved in an [[ApocalypseHow apocalypse]] that threatens the existence of mankind as you know it. you stumble across your boss while chasing your dog, who is rushing to defend said superior from two strangers. then you're told of nanobots that will force humans to change, while being led into a peculiar bunker. said bunker then locks itself down with you, your dog and the other people inside as the world changes completely into something unrecognizable.
** Fans were pretty upset that the abrupt treatment of [[spoiler: Scrappy returning]], which instead of doing the former mentioned of CharacterDevelopment, [[spoiler: they ''instead give him the villainous treatment of the live adaptation'']]. Haters gonna hate ''indeed''..
*** [[spoiler: Though they may be actually taking the character development root (especially with later issues) and we get a slight-in-universe Tearjerker in exchange.]]
* [[http://jose-ramiro.deviantart.com/art/Scooby-Doo-Misses-Shaggy-461013336 This]] Tribute to Casey Kasem. Poor Scooby...