* The Rocky series has many of these, but the one that sticks out the most is Mickey's death in the third movie.
** Apollo's death in the fourth film as well, it's especially sad because how close Rocky and Apollo had gotten over the series.
* The video montage of all the people running up the steps at the end credits of ''Rocky Balboa''. [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhVjWEZ3s8M See it here.]]
* Rocky's grief over Adrian's death in ''RockyBalboa'', especially the scene where he confesses to Paulie that he has a "beast inside" him because of it.
** Let's face it; even if you know ahead of time Adrian doesn't appear in ''Rocky Balboa,'' the sight of Rocky visiting Adrian's grave is absolutely heartbreaking.
** And he visits it so much that he keeps a chair in a nearby tree.
** And in the final scene of the film [[spoiler: the chair is gone.]]
* Rocky's comeback against Mason Dixon slowly becomes a tear jerker of the [[TearsOfJoy joyful]] kind, particularly his struggles in the last round (and the IronicEcho of his speech to his son).
* Rocky confides in Adrian before his first fight with Apollo. IJustWantToBeSpecial at its most bleak:
-->'''Rocky:''' I can't do it.
-->'''Rocky:''' I can't beat him.
-->'''Rocky:''' Yeah. I've been out there walking around, thinking. I mean, who am I kidding? I ain't even in the guy's league.
-->'''Adrian:''' (sighs) What're we gonna do?
-->'''Rocky:''' I dunno.
-->'''Adrian:''' You worked so hard.
-->'''Rocky:''' Yeah, it don't matter. Because I was nobody before.
-->'''Adrian:''' Don't say that.
-->'''Rocky:''' C'mon, Adrian. It's true. I was nobody. But it don't matter either, y'know? 'Cause I was thinking. It really don't matter if I lose this fight. It really don't matter if this guy opens my head, either. 'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed. And if I can go that distance, see, if that bell rings and I'm still standing, I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I wasn't just another bum from the neighborhood.