* The scene where Cuddy rescues Detritus from dying in a fridge -- which makes Detritus lose his low-temperature genius, [[spoiler:the solution to his calculation melting away and thus lost forever]].
* Detritus' reaction to [[spoiler:Cuddy's death]], and how Carrot calms him down from a rampage.
** [[spoiler:Cuddy's death]] in general was a TearJerker.
* What Vimes has been spending all his money on. Stupid onion-chopping ninjas!
* The moment when Carrot brings Angua[[spoiler:'s body]] back to the Yard. [[spoiler: He's heard that only silver really kills werewolves, but he doesn't know for sure, and he's very scared.]] And then he does the chores around the Yard. Because it's his turn to do them.
** Which is simultaneously both a very "Carrot" thing to do, and (thanks to the narrative pointing out how unpredictably humans react to grief) one of the most ''humanizing'' things that almost-too-good-to-be-believed Carrot has ever done.
* Any thoughts for poor Edward d'Eath? Intelligent and innovative but utterly trapped by his social class and pitiful finances... only to end up in a cycle of mad delusion that takes him even further downward. [[spoiler: Right to his ignoble death at the hands of someone he thought he could trust.]]