* Bird Dopant arc (starting from Episode 17) lands some heavy blows. [[spoiler:First, teenagers doing a direct injection of a Gaia Memory that is not meant by them AND without having a bio-communication port. Second we learn that Kirihiko (Nasca Dopant, Gaia Memory Dealer) is suffering a slow death due to his memory achieving Level 2. Oh, the second shouldn't count? Then the third will change your mind: FangJoker tells him he is making the city he loved so much cry, and that is more than enough to having him go through a change of heart, to the point he helps Double eject and destroy the Bird Dopant's Gaia Memory and soon gives a present he promised to Shotaro (To those wondering: Fuuto's Mascot Keychain) and asked him to protect the city. And the fourth and last point is that he is killed by his very wife, Saeko, on top of the building, enjoying the last minutes of his life with the winds that blesses the city.]]
* The entire damn thing of episode 48. [[spoiler: First, you have the first (and possibly only) full appearance of the acoustic version of an ending song, in this case [[CrowningMusicOfAwesome Cyclone Effect]], playing over Shotaro and Philip's last (possible) scene together as Shotaro struggles to cancel the transformation for the last time. Then you have Philip fading away along with the Xtreme Memory, followed by ManlyTears, followed by everyone being depressed, followed by Shotaro getting a goodbye note/gift from Philip telling him to contuine protecting Futo, and for the preview, in order to avert MoodWhiplash, plays Nobody's Perfect instead of the usual W-B-X.]]
* [[spoiler:Their actions in the final episode seem to confirm it. They just revived Philip, see below]]
* Episode 49 does it ''again'' with [[spoiler:Wakana performing a Gaia Impact in order to restore Philip by giving him her body. Inside the Xtreme Memory, we see the entire Sonozaki family reunite as they all say their final farewells to Philip before disappearing.]]
* ''Double Returns: Eternal Chapter has'' [[spoiler:Daido Katsumi coming upon the slaughtered Quark subjects he failed to save, a sight so horrific that he's DrivenToMadness by it. After watching that, TheMovie becomes a lot more of a TearJerker...]]
* The flashbacks of episode 46 of [[spoiler: the Sonozakis being an actual happy family and knowing how far they fallen]].
* The Double half and ending of Movie Wars Core. If you watched Eternal and thought "how can it possibly get more depressing than this?!" you ain't seen nothing yet. The Spider Dopant's special ability is [[spoiler: Spider Bombs that kill not the victim, but the person the victim loves most, transmitted by the victim's touch.]] Because of this, ''dozens'' of citizens are [[spoiler: suddenly killed in front of, and at the touch of, the people who would suffer most from this happening]], and Soukichi himself can [[spoiler: never be with his daughter Akiko (it'll kill her) or his love interest Melissa (it'll kill him) again.]] Naturally, this all happened on Akiko's birthday. Oh, you know how most MonsterOfTheWeek effects have NoOntologicalInertia? [[spoiler: Not so with these. Once infected is forever infected, even with the Spider Memory destroyed (the Dopant memory ''isn't'' the one used in Shotaro's grappling thingy.)]] The series ''itself'' isn't that depressing but its post-series movies seem to keep trying to top the last in terms of soul-rendingness. Also, the series has several funny moments. Core has ''very'' few. We start with Akiko being [[spoiler: merely sick of her fiancee and friends having to run off and do Rider duty]] and the whole thing descending into more and more despair. Does the scene with [[spoiler: Soukichi's ghost at the end]] begin to make up for it?