[[caption-width-right:350:I never knew being weak could be so painful...]]
* When we're first introduced to Leorio, the audience was made to believe that he was just some greedy punk because his motivation to being a hunter was MoneyDearBoy. However, at the beginning of the Hunter's Exam, Kurapika learns that he wants the money to be a doctor and run a free clinic after [[spoiler: a close friend of his died at a young age]]. It makes his FunnyMoments where he rants about wanting money HarsherInHindsight.
* The events of chapters 304-307. Seeing the KidHero ''break'' and give in to rage and despair is heart-wrenching.
** [[spoiler: What's worse is that after going on a RoaringRampageOfRevenge, he's completely broken both physically and mentally. In fact, he was nearly on his deathbed after fighting Pitou]]
* [[spoiler: Kite's death]], made even worse by Gon's complete denial of the possibility of his death, when it's very obvious that he's not coming back.
** [[spoiler: He's technically revived as a Chimera Ant, but the person himself is still dead]]
* After [[spoiler: Kurapika kills Uvogin]], he falls to his knees and holds his head in horror. The next time we see him, he goes to his hotel room, and starts to chant the Kurata prayer slowly, traumatized. [[TheWoobie Poor guy]].
* [[spoiler:The Chimera Ant King's death, especially with the pure black panels fitting his dying dialogue, which makes his death even sadder. It's almost a Japanese WhenTheWindBlows.]]
* If the entire annihilation of a clan wasn't enough alone, the horrible manner at which the Kurata were massacred is absolutely '''heartwrenching'''. [[spoiler: Families were forced to sit, facing each other, as they were stabbed and beheaded one-by-one. Pureblood members of the Clan had their eyes gouged out. Children, wives, and husbands were tortured in front of their beloveds to illicit feelings of despair and rage from their victims in order to turn their eyes an even more startling shade of scarlet.]] This was the destruction of an entirely innocent race of people, at the hands of monsters.
** Which makes Kurapica's quest for vengeance, and Gon's outrage over the Phantom troupe caring only about one of their own even more understandable and effective.