* Ronnie Mitchell finally finding out Danielle was her daughter and the climax of it. ''Dear God.'')
* Frank Butcher's funeral. Made even more poignant as the actor who played him, the lovable Mike Reid, had died. It's not just the characters crying there, it's the entire cast themselves. "Take care of yourself, Pat."
* Billie Jackson's death. No big build up, just a party gone too far and a guy drinking himself to death. However, the episode dealing with the immediate aftermath was crushing; there were only about three lines of dialogue in the last 10 minutes as the characters tried to deal with the shock, and the tone was shockingly downbeat, even for EastEnders.
* Ronnie again, [[spoiler: finding the corpse of her newborn son]].
* The deaths of [[spoiler: Bradley Branning and Wellard]] hit hard, seeing as their circumstances aren't really ordinary compared to many other deaths in the show.
* When Phil discovers that Ben has accidentally killed [[spoiler: Heather]]. Ben's immediate reaction is point out that ''this'' is what Phil always wanted him [[ARealManIsAKiller to be like.]]
* Ethel Skinner's Death in 2000.
* Jamie's death.
* The episode aired on 20/8/2012 is one big tearjerker for Jay.
* When Kat tells Alfie she's been having a three month affair with another man, Alfie breaks down into tears, almost hits her when she won't tell him the other man's name and then violently throws her out, while still crying like a school boy.
* When Lola has her baby taken from her by Social Services.
* The day after Derek's [[spoiler:death]], we learn that he had arrange to meet up with his father, who is still recovering from his stroke. Having got dressed up for a day out with his eldest son, Jim called the Branning house when Derek didn't show up in time. One can only imagine the look of utter sadness on Jim's face when he was informed of Derek's [[spoiler:passing]].
* Zoe calling Kat 'Mum' for the first time when they said their goodbyes just before Zoe caught her train out of the series.
* The storyline of Ronnie Mitchell finding out that Danielle was her daughter that she gave away. The climax of it was ''utterly tragic beyond belief''
* The episode where Ethel died, especially her final scenes with Dot... a heart-rending story fantastically and sensitively acted. Also Mark Fowler's departure.
* The episode where Dot was by herself.
* The Live Episode [[spoiler: where Bradley Branning falls from the roof of the Queen Vic when the police are chasing him as he calls for Stacey to run. Stacey cries his name and then silence follows before Max is finally able to reach his son's side and find a small pool of blood coming from his head.]]