* And they come fast and loose once [[spoiler:the protagonist's mother commits suicide]], especially as certain main characters come to terms with (or merely accept) [[DeathIsDramatic their own impending deaths]].
* The HeroicSacrifice of [[spoiler:[[BigDamnHeroes the crew of the ''Messiah'']]]]
* When Jenny gives up her seat on the helicopter so that Beth and her daughter can survive.
* Jenny gets another one when she reunites with her father, and when she clings to him just before the tsunami crashes over them.
--> '''Jenny:''' ''Daddy''...
* The crew of the Messiah saying their goodbyes to their families.
** Fish not being able to see his two sons, but instead tells his deceased wife that he'll be coming home to her soon.
** Special note goes out to Oren, the blinded crew member not being able to see his newborn son. The rest of the crew then promptly whisper to him what the baby is doing on screen, just so his wife doesn't know that he's been blinded.
* Sarah's family insisting that she go on ahead with Leo so she has a chance of surviving, and her parents hugging one another before they die.