* And they come fast and loose once [[spoiler:the protagonist's mother commits suicide]], especially as certain main characters come to terms with (or merely accept) [[DeathIsDramatic their own impending deaths]].
* When Jenny gives up her seat on the helicopter so that Beth and her daughter can survive.
* Jenny gets another one when she reunites with her father, and when she clings to him just before the tsunami crashes over them.
--> '''Jenny:''' ''Daddy''...
* Sarah's family insisting that she go on ahead with Leo so she has a chance of surviving, and her parents hugging one another before they die.
* The crew of the Messiah saying their goodbyes to their families. Hell, the entirety of the BittersweetEnding.
** Fish not being able to see his two sons, but instead tells his deceased wife that he'll be coming home to her soon.
** Special note goes out to Oren, the blinded crew member. Oren gets the chance to talk to his wife (and infant son Oren Jr.) for the last time, especially considering that Oren was blinded earlier in the film and it's a son he'll never see. The rest of the crew whisper to him what the baby is doing on screen, just so his wife doesn't know that he's been blinded.
--->"''Be good, Oren... be good...''"
*** That scene was brutal. "Look at it this way: we'll all get high schools named after us."
* The HeroicSacrifice of [[spoiler:[[BigDamnHeroes the crew of the ''Messiah'']]]].