A list of [[ShoutOut Shout Outs]] in ''TheMagicians''.
* Harry Potter: Time turners, Quidditch and Hermione Granger are all name-dropped - the books seem to exist within the universe.
* [[CaptainObvious Obviously]], ''[[Literature/TheChroniclesOfNarnia Narnia]]'' is the basis for the ShowWithinAShow that provides the title.
* WordOfGod is that Quentin was named after a character in ''Literature/TheSoundAndTheFury''.
* The five Chatwin children are named after real-life intrepid explorer Bruce Chatwin.
* The great field of grass that is known as "The Sea" is a play on the Dothraki Sea in George R.R. Martinís ''Song of Ice and Fire''.
* One particular scene is explicitly borrowed from ''In Search of Lost Time'', where Marcel stumbles on a [[GirlOnGirlIsHot lesbian couple having a sado-masochistic affair]].
* A marble nicknamed "Rakshasa" refers to an old D&D character in the Monster Manual.
* Sir Hotspots is actually a reference to Martin Tenbones in ComicBook/TheSandman.
* ''Amelia Popperís Practical Exercises for Young Magicians'' refers to a similar David Popper's books on the cello.
* "Ricky, the man behind the counter", is named for great magician and magic scholar Ricky Jay.
* The use of the word "coolth" a story titled ''Beauty and the Beasts''. Most editors try to take it out.
* Given that Grossman is a fan of [[Creator/IainBanks Iain M. Banks]], a brief (sailing) reference to a "very fast picket" in ''The Magician King'' is most likely a nod to the space warships by that name in the [[Literature/TheCulture Culture]] novels.
* Near the end, Emily Greenstreet talks about how magic gives her the [[Literature/InfiniteJest howling fantods]].