British comedy series that ran from 1991 to 1999.
Named after the then-average number of children in a British family -- today it would probably be 1.8 Children.
The main characters were:
* Bill (Wilhelmina) Porter, a caterer
* Ben Porter, her husband, a plumber
* Jenny, the daughter
* David, the son
* Rhona, a nymphomaniac DropInCharacter
* Christine, Ben's bad-tempered apprentice
The actress for Jenny [[TheOtherDarrin was replaced]] in the third season. In the final season, the character was sent to university, [[SuspiciouslySimilarSubstitute and a new teenage child adopted.]]
The episodes could be very surreal -- one ended up as a parody of ThePrisoner. And Bill had numerous prophetic dreams given to her by her SpiritAdvisor -- a biker whom it turned out [[spoiler: may have been DeadAllAlong due to a bike accident]].
''Series/TwoPointFourChildren'' is a prime example of MagicRealism. It was written by Andrew Marshall, whose former writing partner David Renwick was responsible for the more successful ''[[OneFootInTheGrave One Foot in the Grave]]'' (which was more like tragic surrealism).
!!This show provides examples of:
* ActingForTwo - Bill's mother and aunt were played by the same actress
* ArcWords - Bill's recurring dream of a biker telling her to stay out of "MIA". The dream was cut short; it was supposed to say "Miami", where she was caught in a hurricane in a later episode.
** In fact MIA is the three-letter airport code for Miami International, and it only occurs in one or two episodes. Two points don't make an arc, although since the seasons are only six episodes long, two episodes is a sizeable chunk.
* BrandX - the video game ''Ninja Badger''
* ChristmasEpisode - five of them!
** All of which end with [[SuddenMusicalEnding a bizarre Broadway-esque musical number]].
* CousinOliver - Declan, the Porters' foster child, who was also a SuspiciouslySimilarSubstitute for the departing Jenny.
* CutShort - By the illness of Ben's actor in 1999 (he emigrated to Australia after a cancer diagnosis and died in 2000).
* DeadAllAlong - It is strongly implied that [[spoiler: Bill's mysterious motorcycle guy]] was this. Bill [[spoiler: sees his obituary]] in a stack of old newspapers she was going to throw away.
** The end of the first episode of the second series shows a TV news report (which Bill misses, due to being asleep) reporting on the accident that killed him. This implies he was alive during the first series.
* GenderBlenderName - Bill (full name Wilhelmina)
* TheOtherDarrin - Jenny was first played by Georgina Cates and then by Clare Buckfield.
** Declan was played by Mitchell Ray in his first appearance, and by Alex Kew when he became a regular character.
* SitcomArchNemesis (Jake the Klingon)
* SpecialEditionTitle - for the Christmas episodes.
* [[SpiritualSuccessor Spiritual Predecessor]] - Considered by some to have paved the way for the similarly-themed ''MyFamily''.
* WhyDoYouKeepChangingJobs: Dawn, the "per-son-al ben-ker" later resurfaces as an equally deranged and annoying loan officer.