A crime drama that ran from 1972-1977 by Quinn Martin Productions (with [[Creator/WarnerBros Warner Bros. Television]] in season one). It starred Karl Malden as Det. Lt. Mike Stone, a veteran cop, and Creator/MichaelDouglas (in his StarMakingRole) as Inspector Steve Keller, Stone's younger partner. The series was shot on-location in UsefulNotes/SanFrancisco. Richard Hatch replaced Michael Douglas in 1976. This change was not popular with viewers, since ''Series/BattlestarGalacticaClassic'' hadn't been created yet, so the series was cancelled.
Unique among crime shows since, the show's actors and writers took great pains to ensure an authentic portrayal of the San Francisco Police Department.
* FramedFaceOpening: The TitleSequence has Detectives Stone and Keller over a blocky splotch design. Said design was also used for the guest cast montage.
* IncrediblyObviousBug: Seen in one episode. The tracking device is large and obvious (although not blinking or beeping), but it is planted on the back bumper of the car after the hero has gotten in, thus justifying them not noticing it.
* KilledOffForReal: [[spoiler: Steve in the ReunionShow]].
* NiceHat: Stone's ever-present fedora.
* ReunionShow: 1992's ''Back To The Streets Of San Francisco'', with Karl Malden and Darleen Carr (who played the recurring character of his daughter Jeannie on the original series). Michael Douglas doesn't appear, although [[Film/BasicInstinct he did play a San Francisco cop in another production that year]]. [[spoiler: The hunt for his murderer is a major plot element.]]
* SettingAsACharacter: Quinn Martin called the titular city "the third star of the series".
* ShownTheirWork: The authenticity of the portrayal of the SFPD.
* SuspiciouslySimilarSubstitute: Inspector Dan Robbins, Richard Hatch's character.