''Teen Angel'' was a 1997 FantasticComedy that aired on the TGIF block on ABC. The show began with the high school boy Steve daring his friend Marty to eat a six-month-old hamburger from under his bed. Not to be called a chicken, Marty does and then dies. Marty hangs around Steve as a sort of dim-witted guardian angel for him. Marty helps Steve conquer his fear of talking to girls, failing tests, and being unpopular throughout the series. HilarityEnsues.
The show was played alongside ''Series/BuffyTheVampireSlayer'' in an attempt to gain more views, but failed due to low ratings. It was killed off after 17 episodes. Not to be confused with the short-lived 1989 DisneyChannel series -- which gets confusing because it was also shown on the DisneyChannel.
!!Tropes used by the series:
* AllGuysWantCheerleaders: Steve gets a crush on Jessica Fishman, a popular cheerleader.
** He winds up dating her for most of the series. Granted, the series lasted 17 episodes...
* AnyoneRememberPogs: One episode had Marty go back in time to try to prevent his death. When his past self demands proof he's from the future, he says "I know this may be a little hard to believe...but the Macarena is just a phase.", followed by his past self bemoaning his huge investment in "Planet Macarena" stock (which he later plans to sell and invest in Tony Danza t-shirts instead).
* ButterflyOfDoom: The plot of the "[=Back to DePolo=]" episode.
* ColourCodedForYourConvenience: If someone's dressed in all white, then they're dead. Subverted with any figures from history, as they ''don't'' dress in white.
* CrossThrough: With ''Series/SabrinaTheTeenageWitch''. Salem ate a [[AncientArtifact magic time ball]] that sent each of the shows in the TGIF line-up into a past decade. ''Teen Angel'' got [[TheSeventies the 70s]], as well as more of an appearance by Sabrina or Salem (the other shows in the line-up got a couple of cameos).
* DivineRaceLift: Rod - semi-deity and cousin of the real God - was the floating head of Ron Glass. In one episode he also played the Devil's cousin Neville.
* FreeTheFrogs: An incredibly bizarre twist on this-- the characters give their frog human intelligence and the ability to talk and he becomes a member of their clique.
* GettingCrapPastTheRadar: "Will the person who stole the 'C' & 'L' from the Class of '98..."
* IncrediblyLamePun: And how. In one episode, Marty makes a pun about the Grim Reaper and his sibling being the "Brothers Grim". Cue the audience booing so loudly that it makes the actor wince briefly.
* KingOfAllCosmos: God has a unique intermediary to mortals: his cousin Rod, the giant, disembodied head of actor Ron Glass. Rod admits to being responsible for the Black Plague, The Chevy Chase Show, and killer bees (though at first they weren't called 'killer bees' they were called 'Fun Flies.' Then they started killing people.) His arch-nemesis is the Devil's cousin Neville.
* LimitedWardrobe: Marty has two outfits, and they're technically the same one since it's what he was wearing when he died. After he died, his clothes changed to completely white.
* LowestCosmicDenominator: Rod
* NeverSayDie: Inverted; Marty is clearly shown to be die in the first episode, and is refered to as dead throughout the series.It is somewhat implied, however, that Marty is made an angel as a special punishment, rather than it being the natural order of things.
* NoFourthWall: Prior to the opening credits of the episode "Grumpy Young Men", Marty explained the absence of Steve's mother by remarking that "the actress who played the mother has left the show" before going onto explain the introduction as Steve's father & grandfather to the cast. There's other moments, but that's the most glaring.
* ShoutOut: [[RandallAndHopkirkDeceased A Ghost named Marty helps out the life of his best friend with his supernatural powers, anyone?]]
* SmokeOut: Subverted-- Marty creates smoke but is left standing in the room. Then, in front of the person he wants to escape from, walks into a closet.
* SternTeacher: Mr Nitzke
--> '''Steve''': I said I didn't fail. I missed the exam because I had a personal problem.
--> '''Mr Nitzke''': Well, ''now '''I'm''' your personal problem''.
* ThisIsGoingToBeHuge: Marty had made a huge investment in "Planet Macarena" stock.
* WayPastTheExpirationDate: Marty dies and becomes the title character after eating a six-month-old hamburger found under Steve's bed.
* YouCanSeeMe: Marty had this reaction when he met an old lady who could see him because she was soon to die.
** Steve's Grandpa could see Marty too (he could see all angels as well as Rod, due to a near-death experience), but he was introduced after the initial instance so nothing happened with it.
** [[Series/SabrinaTheTeenageWitch Sabrina Spellman]] could also see Marty, on account of being a witch.
** The final episode had Marty realising if he picked up a ball or wore a hat, then people who couldn't see him normally would see the floating object. He then put on extensive make-up & a different set of clothes in order to go on a date with a girl he had a crush on before he died.