[[caption-width-right:200:What's that, Rex? [[TimmyInaWell Timmy fell down the well?]] ]]
''Kommissar Rex'', known as '''''Inspector Rex''''' in English-speaking countries, is an Austrian live-action police detective series. The title character, Rex, is a highly-trained German Shepherd dog who works with a team of homicide detectives in the Austrian Kriminalpolizei, initially led by detective Richard Moser.
The series originally ran from 1994 to 2004. In 2008 it was revived as an Italian co-production, with Rex being adopted by a visiting Italian policeman and going to live in Rome. It also produced a short-lived spinoff, ''Stockinger'', in which Richard Moser's first sidekick is transferred to Salzberg.
!!''Inspector Rex'' provides examples of:
* AlasPoorVillain: [[spoiler: Kurt Hauff in "Moser's Death". Even if he killed Moser you can see he feels some kind of genuine remorse for what he has just done. There's also the way he looks Rex in the eyes before being DrivenToSuicide.]]
* AllPartOfTheShow: In one episode, the villain plans to invoke this trope by replacing a prop knife in a play with the real thing.
* CanineCompanion: Rex
* ChekhovsSkill: If Rex demonstrates a new trick at the beginning of an episode, you can bet it will come in handy later on.
* ConnectTheDeaths: One episode features a satanic cult that murders women and leaves their bodies so that they form a giant pentagram.
* DetectiveAnimal: Rex.
* EstablishingCharacterMoment: The first time we see Alex, he takes off his jacket and jumps into a river to retrieve evidence. As you might have guessed, he's very dedicated, isn't afraid of taking risks and very sporty.
* EverybodyLaughsEnding: Happens quite often.
* EvilBrit: Many a VillainOfTheWeek has a Northern German accent.
* HeroicDog: Guess.
* HeroicPetStory: This series about a cop-canine partnership combines the the HeroicPetStory and BuddyCopShow genres, as the titular canine cop fights crime with his human handler.
* IntroductionByHookup: Marc Hoffman and Nikki Herzog have a one-night stand the morning before they start their new jobs. The next morning, they not only discover that they are both police officers, but they are now partners.
* [[MsFanservice Mr Fanservice]]: Brandtner in spades, although Moser has his moments. One episode has Brandtner stripping down to his underwear so show he has no concealed weapons. When asked how he feels about being so exposed, he replies "...Sexy". Moser also goes skinny dipping in "Ein mörderischer Sommer"
* NobodyTouchesTheHair: PlayedForDrama; molested children in an orphanage freak out when their hair is being touched.
* NonHumanSidekick: Although much of the time it's more like Rex has human sidekicks.
* OnceAnEpisode: At least one joke involving ham rolls.
* OohMeAccentsSlipping / UnexplainedAccent: Moser has a very [[GermanDialects High German]] (theatre) accent when alone, but when speaking to other humans or swearing he slips into Viennese. He is supposed to be Viennese so this is more a case of his accent slipping when he is ''alone''.
* SpinOff: Sidekick Stockinger got his own Type I series after he transfers to Salzburg. It lasted two seasons.
* SpiritualSuccessor: To other HeroicDog tv series, such as Rin Tin Tin and Lassie.
* SpoilerTitle: Moser's final appearance is titled "[[spoiler:Moser's Death]]"
* TrademarkFavoriteFood: Ham rolls, for both Moser and Rex.
* WeCouldHaveAvoidedAllThis: The killer in one episode was a former high powered executive who was fired and had his career ruined when a female employee framed him for AttemptedRape by going into his office, ripping off her own clothes and screaming. The guy then went on a RoaringRampageOfRevenge against the woman and her co-conspirators. When he's caught, they point out that since he at no point touched the woman, her clothes had no forensic evidence linking it to him and thus if he had simply gone to the police, he could have them all arrested and gone back to his job.
* WireDilemma: Subverted in an episode where [[spoiler:the character facing the dilemma takes too long to decide and runs out of time -- but his colleague had pulled the detonator out of the explosives]].
* YouLookFamiliar: According to TheOtherWiki, Brandtner, Moser's replacement, and Hoffmann, Brandtner's replacement, were both played by actors who had previously appeared as villains. Several Austrian actors also have reoccurring roles throughout the series.