A British mystery drama shown from 1996 to 1998. The series stars Patricia Routledge ([[HeyItsThatGuy or Mrs.]] ''[[KeepingUpAppearances Bouquet]]'' [[HeyItsThatGuy to you]]) as Hetty, who on her sixty-fourth birthday decides that her life requires a bit more spice and adventure. An insightful and observant woman, she decides to open a detective agency. Along with her supportive husband Robert (Derek Benfield) and 'Young' Geoffrey (Dominic Monaghan), their lodger, she investigates a number of mysteries and helps those in need seek justice.
!!Provides examples of:
* AlwaysMurder: Often averted.
* FidelityTest: One of the B-plots involves Robert and Geoffrey, while Hetty's occupied with another case, approached by a man who wants them to set one of these up to test his girlfriend. As Robert's too old and Geoffrey's too young, they hire a third party to do so. [[spoiler: It backfires when the girl not only falls for it, but dumps her boyfriend for the mark. Needless to say, the boyfriend isn't happy.]]
* KitchenSinkDrama: Although a more light-hearted example than the usual, given the OopNorth setting and the working class characters the series could almost be described as a Kitchen Sink version of Literature/MissMarple.
* LittleOldLadyInvestigates: Hetty. A somewhat more realistic example than most, in that most of Hetty's cases were fairly small-scale in nature (or at least started off that way) and matters that the police were unlikely to be interested in. She was also a registered official private investigator.
* OopNorth: The series was set in Lancashire.
* PrivateDetective: Unlike most [[LittleOldLadyInvestigates little old ladies who solve crimes]], Hetty actually ''is'' a registered private detective.
* PlayingAgainstType: A moderate example, as both characters have somewhat matronly atmosphere to them and have dedicated long suffering husbands - but Hetty is personality wise completely different to Patricia Routledge's most famous prior role Hyacinth. Whereas Hyacinth is an oblivious social climber, Hetty is not only happily working class but also very astute.
* RealityEnsues: Into the LittleOldLadyInvestigates genre; Hetty is a registered private investigator who actively stays away from major cases that are the police's jurisdiction, and tends to focus on smaller-scale incidents.