Based loosely on [[Literature/HamishMacbeth a series of novels by the same name]], ''Hamish Macbeth'' follows the adventures of the titular character, a constable assigned to the Scottish village of Lochdubh. While Hamish wants nothing more than to go fishing, take walks with his dog, and court his love interest, fate usually intervenes and forces him to actually do his job.
The villagers of Loch Dubh are the usual collection of EccentricTownsfolk, and include TV John [=McIver=] (who claims to have premonitions), Lachlan [=McCrae=] (the obligatory get-rich-quick schemer) and his son Lachie Jnr (the obligatory schemer's obligatory useless sidekick), and Doc Brown (the local doctor, who even the eccentric villagers think is a bit odd).
!!This show contains examples of:
* BattleButler: TV John.
* BeautifulAllAlong: [[spoiler: Isobel]].
* CleanUpTheTown: When Hamish goes on a temporary leave of absence, his overzealous replacement is lead to believe he's doing this, as TV John encourages him to arrest citizens for minor infractions.
* DeathOfTheHypotenuse: [[spoiler:Alex]], so she can be replaced by [[spoiler:Isobel]] as the main love interest.
* DrivenToSuicide: After [[spoiler:Alex dies]], [[spoiler:Hamish]] goes to one of the islands in the middle of the loch to off himself. However, [[spoiler:he is saved by a spirited old woman]].
* FamilyUnfriendlyDeath: Pretty much all of the deaths depicted, including those of [[spoiler:Wee Jock [the dog], the "Wee Boy", Alex and TV John [=McIver=]]], as well as several of the villains.
* IdenticalGrandfather: The ghost of TV John's grandfather appears in one episode, played by the same actor as John himself.
* IntergenerationalFriendship: Hamish and TV John
* IntoxicationEnsues: Parodied to great effect. Lachie Junior accidentally discovers a stash of marijuana, but [[spoiler:mistakes it for cow feed, and gives it to his dad's cattle]].
* LandMineGoesClick: In the episode "No Man is an Island".
* LittlestCancerPatient: Inverted, as the child is a budding scam artist and unrepentant jerk. However, [[spoiler:he redeems himself by the end of the episode]].
* ManInAKilt: Doc Brown, all the time, and other characters on occasion. In the episode where [[spoiler:Wee Jock is run over]], an entire group of men set off on a search expedition in their kilts.
* TheMedic: Doc Brown.
* NeverLearnedToRead: TV John
* NoodleIncident: "The man before the man before Macbeth" was apparently driven from Lochdubh.
* OpposingSportsTeam: Dunbracken in the [[BaseballEpisode Shinty Episode]] ''More Than A Game''.
* ParanormalEpisode: Played with in "The Lochdubh Deluxe", where a gravedigger blames aliens for stealing a corpse. Hamish holds a town meeting to discuss this, but, as it turns out, he doesn't believe it: he just doesn't know what else to tell people happened to the missing dead woman.
* PreemptiveDeclaration: In the first episode, Macbeth writes out a ticket for a car's broken headlight, before kicking said headlight in.
* SuddenIntelligence: In one episode, a craze for reading has taken over the town, leading to a bar overrun with books, and people forgoing drinking in favor of arguments about existentialism. The bartender is not amused.
* ZanyScheme: Lachlan [=MacCrae=] and his son, Lachie Junior, often have one of these. These usually end in failure.