Mulder investigates a [[GhostShip luxury passenger liner]] that mysteriously appears on the edge of the Bermuda Triangle. Once on board the ship, Mulder finds himself in the year 1939 as Nazi soldiers are fighting the British crew for control of the ship.
Several of the people on the ship just happen to look identical to important people in Mulder's own life. Scully's counterpart is a tough-talking undercover OSS agent in a red cocktail dress, while the Cigarette Smoking Man's counterpart is the leader of the Nazis.
* ArcWords: One of the engine crew drops this on Mulder:
-->'''Crewman:''' Don't you know there are spies everywhere? Trust No One, man!
* AllJustADream: Possibly.
* AndYouWereThere: Many of the people Mulder meets on the ship are played by the same actors as the other members of the regular cast.
* BallroomBlitz: The climax of the episode is a fight between British soldiers and Nazis in the liner's ballroom.
* TheBermudaTriangle: The episode sees Mulder investigate a [[GhostShip luxury passenger liner]] that mysteriously appears on the edge of the Bermuda Triangle.
* ButYouWereThereAndYouAndYou: Many of the people Mulder meets on the ship are played by the same actors as the other members of the regular cast.
* CurseCutShort: Mulder's "oh sh--" when he realizes he's actually back in time; the camera pans away before he finishes.
* FakeFirstKiss: Mulder's kiss with past-Scully.
* FauxFluency: William B. Davis didn't speak German and had to spend two weeks learning his lines phonetically.
* FieryRedhead: Scully, of course, but also Scully's "double" in 1939.
* GhostShip: A ship from the past in Bermuda Triangle.
* GlamorousWartimeSinger: Past-Assistant Director Kersh's assistant is employed as one on the ship; as in the present, she's working for the antagonists (in this case, she's a Nazi spy).
* GoodIsNotNice: The ship crew are rather abusive towards Mulder and eager to torture and kill him. Even if he ''was'' a Nazi spy as they suspect, their behavior is extremely morally dubious considering he is unarmed.
* HighDiveEscape: Mulder dives off the ''Queen Anne'' [[NowOrNeverKiss after kissing past-Scully]] at the end.
* KissKissSlap: Mulder kisses past-Scully, who is not impressed, and punches him.
-->'''Mulder:''' ''(wincing)'' I was expecting a left.
* KissMeImVirtual: Just before he exits the boat, Mulder grabs past-Scully for a passionate kiss "[[NowOrNeverKiss in case we never meet again]]." 1939!Scully, of course, responds [[KissKissSlap somewhat differently]].
* LadyInRed: The other "Scully".
* NowOrNeverKiss: Just before he exits the boat, Mulder grabs past-Scully for a passionate kiss "in case we never meet again."
* TheOner: Close to it. The episode appears to be four continuous shots, with commercial breaks between them. In reality, the Steadicam they were using could only hold four minutes' worth of film, so there are numerous disguised cuts within each "oner."
* OrWasItADream: At the end of the episode, Mulder wakes in hospital, and his colleagues assume his experience was a delusion of some kind. At the end, after they leave, he realizes he has a bruise matching where past-Scully decked him.
* ShoutOut: Many to ''Film/TheWizardOfOz'', of course; some of the more subtle ones include that the captain of the ship is named Yip Harburg (the film's songwriter) and the story takes place in 1939 (the year the film was released).
* TwoFistedTales: Had elements of this, especially the big ballroom punch-up between British sailors and Nazi goons, not to mention Scully as a glamorous 1930s spy in a red dress.