Episode - 7F17\\
First Aired - 3/28/1991
Grandpa falls in love with an old woman named Beatrice, but when his family forces him to miss her birthday (and returns to find that Bea died of a burst heart vessel[[note]]literally a broken heart[[/note]]), he angrily blames Homer and disowns him, but Grampa's attitude changes when he inherits Bea's money and must come up with a way to use the money for the benefit of his fellow man.
!!Tropes in this episode:
* BaitAndSwitch: When Abe is looking at Bea's picture sadly, drops are falling on it, making it appear as if he's crying a lot. It turns out to be rain water from a leaky roof.
* CassandraTruth: Homer doesn't believe Abe when he says he's celebrating Bea's birthday; he thinks Abe's gone senile and is talking to imaginary people.
* DeathByDespair: Jasper and the others try to reassure Grampa that Bea's death was natural (she died when a ventricle in her heart burst and staff were unable to save her), but Grampa is convinced -- and makes sure Homer knows it -- that Bea died of "a broken heart" ([[ForgottenBirthday because he wasn't there to celebrate her birthday]]).
* TheDragAlong: Homer and the others take Abe on a safari against his will. Not only does the trip suck, but thanks to Homer, Bea dies from thinking Abe broke his promise.
* HauntedHouse: Lionel Hutz informs Abe that in order to get Bea's inheritance, he must spend one night in a haunted house.
--> '''Hutz''': ''(laughs)'' [[SubvertedTrope Just kidding.]]
* IHaveNoSon: Abe disowns Homer after the latter robs him of Bea's final moments. He makes up with him out of encouragement from her ghost.
** Bea's death due to a broken heart is made literal with a ventricle in her heart bursting.
** When Abe returns to the retirement home after the safari, he says he has a date with an angel. Jasper tells him he didn't know how right he was.
* NeverGotToSayGoodbye: In hindsight, as Grampa tells Homer that he could have been with her when she suddenly fell ill and died, instead of trapped in their car overnight on the range of Discount Lion Safari and surrounded by hungry lions. Homer shows up with his father just in time to see the ambulance being loaded with what Abe will learn is a deceased Bea.
* NotSoImaginaryFriend: When Abe first told the Simpsons about Beatrice, Homer thought she was imaginary.
* OffModel: "Old Money" looks and moves noticeably differently than any other season 2 episode.
* OnOneCondition: The lawyer reading Beatrice's will told Grandpa he'd have to spend a night in a haunted house to inherit her money. [[SubvertedTrope He was kidding]].
* SayMyName: While still stuck in the car for the night, Abe looks at his watch:
-->'''Abe:''' ''OH BEEEAAAAAAAAAAA!!''
* SomethingCompletelyDifferent: Not only is this one of the more dramatic episodes (akin to "Like Father, Like Klown," "One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish," and "Bart vs. Thanksgiving"), but this episode (as of 2014 and barring the feature film) is the only one to list the voice actors with their characters in the closing credits (meaning, you actually get to see who Creator/DanCastellaneta, Creator/JulieKavner, Creator/NancyCartwright, Creator/YeardleySmith, Creator/HankAzaria, and Creator/HarryShearer voice on the show).
* SpecialGuest: Creator/PhilHartman as Lionel Hutz and Plato; [[TheHoneyMooners Audrey Meadows]] as Beatrice "Bea" Simmons
* TerribleIntervieweesMontage: The people lined up with suggestions for what to do with Grampa's inheritance, one of which is The Joker from the ''Batman'' franchise. Professor Frink (the JerryLewis-esque BunglingInventor) made his first appearance in this sequence.
* UnexpectedInheritance: Abe didn't expect to inherit anything from Beatrice.