After embarrassing Bart during a game of Capture the Flag at a church picnic, Homer decides to get in shape (despite everyone else saying that Homer can't commit to a diet and exercise regimen), and his newly-sculpted muscles from an energy bar and exercise makes him the perfect candidate for a publicity stunt.
* CommieNazis: The TropeNamer.
* DirtyCoward: After it was revealed that Grampa betrayed his partner (not the other way around), he chose to flee rather than explain himself.
* DudeNotFunny: InUniverse, while watching the [=McBain=] movie, Marge says [[BondOneLiner "Now that's what I call breakneck speed!"]] and laughs, but Bart stares at her and flatly says "Mom, a man just died.".
* FakeUltimateHero: Homer realizes that he's becoming this when he learns the Sherpas were taking him up the mountain while he was sleeping.
* HonorBeforeReason: When Homer sends the Sherpas home, he tells Brad and Neil he's going on alone, making them urge Homer to go back himself, but Homer insists he'll carry on, because he'd promised Bart he'd do it.
* IDontLikeTheSoundOfThatPlace: Mount Murderhorn.
* IfIDoNotReturn: The dead climber has such a line in his journal.
* ImAHumanitarian: Grampa tried eating his partner.
* NamesTheSame: This episode title is also the title of one of ''The Simpsons''' DuelingShows ''WesternAnimation/KingOfTheHill''.
* NotThisOneThatOne: When Homer is told he has to climb Mount Murderhorn, he's pointed towards a massive mountain outside Springfield. Homer gasps in shock, but Neil informs him that it's actually a much bigger mountain next to it.
* PeekABooCorpse: When Homer turns on his lamp in the cave, he shudders seeing the corpse.
* RevealShot: At least twice. When Homer mistakes a small mountain for Mount Murderhorn, [[OverlyLongGag two reveal shots are used]] to show the real mountain. Another reveal shot when Homer uses the oxygen bottles and the camera zooms out to show he hasn't come that far.
* SweetAndSourGrapes: When he realizes his father let him down, Homer thinks he's let Bart down himself, so he decides to give up on climbing the mountain. Taking the flag out, he takes the Powersauce banner off and puts a sheet marked "Simpson" on it, saying "It's not the top, but it's as close as a Simpson's gonna get.", and hammers it in, but it causes a landslide bringing down the top of the mountain, thereby making where he's standing the top.
* WellDoneDadGuy: Homer.