Bart and Homer are forced to work as carnies after Bart crashes the Mercedes convertible said to belong to UsefulNotes/AdolfHitler, and befriend a father-son carny duo named Spud and Cooder, but when Homer brings Spud and Cooder to their home, it's the Simpsons that end up getting kicked out of it.
* BaitAndSwitch: Homer bets Cooder that he can get a hula hoop onto the chimney--wagering the house. Everyone stands in front of the house, Homer readies his shot, and the family immediately runs inside and locks the door.
* BrainBleach: Lisa's reaction to Spud's ability to unhinge all the joints in his body.
* ComicallyMissingThePoint: Homer not realizing Chief Wiggum was asking for a bribe no matter how obviously he was asking (I'm looking for a Mr. Bribe), and later not realizing he wouldn't help Homer when the Cooders locked themselves inside the Simpson House.
* CoolAndUnusualPunishment: The Rich Texan makes Bart a carny in order to pay back the damage. Homer thinks that's awesome and wants to be a carny, too.
* DirtyCop: Chief Wiggum demands a bribe to keep a rigged carny game open, and later refuses to help the Simpsons reclaim their home out of spite because Homer was too stupid to bribe Wiggum when he was working at the carnival.
* GenreBlindness: Let's just say Homer isn't very good at spotting suckers.
* GracefulLoser: After Homer tricks them:
-->'''Cooder:''' Well, there's no shame in bein' bested by the best.\\
'''Spud:''' But he didn't seem like the--\\
'''Cooder:''' We was beaten by the best, boy.
* ICantLookGesture: During Homer's ring-toss game (which wagers the ownership of the house against the Cooders), Lisa covers her eyes and exclaims, "I can't watch!"
* IronicEcho: After taking over the house, Spud and Cooder laugh at the Simpsons through the mail slot (as pictured above). The family returns the favor after they trick them.
* KillItWithFire: Homer, Bart, and Lisa are in favor of setting fire to the house to get Spud and Cooder out, even if it means killing Spud and Cooder. Marge refuses.
* OverlyLongGag: "That's it. Fire!"
* SpecialGuest: Jim Varney as Cooder.
* TemptingFate: During the glass-bottom boat ride, the tour guide shows them the sister ship that sunk. When Marge wonders how that could've happened, we see Homer and Bart standing on the glass and goading the sharks to try to get them.
* WeAreNotGoingThroughThatAgain: After getting the house back from the Cooders, Homer takes pity of them having no place to go, wondering if the family should let them stay for a few days, forgetting that that's what led to the mess they just went through. Bart's reaction is to tell Marge to get Homer away from the window.
* WideEyedIdealist: Homer deeply believes in the Carny Code.