It's yet another ''Simpsons'' clip show episode. In this one, Homer and Bart rent a gritty, spaghetti Western called ''Film/PaintYourWagon'', but that turns out to be a cheesy musical. Upset over the turn of events, Homer voices his dislike for musicals and singing, and the rest of the family show them (with the help of some conveniently-obtained videos) that a lot of The Simpsons' memories include singing and big musical numbers -- which gets interrupted when resident criminal Snake Jailbird holds the family hostage.
* AluminumChristmasTrees: Yes, ''Film/PaintYourWagon'' is a real movie, and it was made ''after'' Creator/ClintEastwood became famous.
* ClipShow: mixed with MusicalEpisode and BottleEpisode
* GettingCrapPastTheRadar: Even though this episode was rated TV-G in America (when it premiered. The reruns have it at its proper rating of TV-PG), it got away with showing Snake hold the family at gunpoint (and firing said gun during the credits), a reference to Milhouse being gay and clips from the risqué season eight episode "Bart After Dark".
* MoodWhiplash: What is supposed to be a happy musical-based clip show becomes this when Snake breaks in the family's house and threatens them with his gun.
* SelfDeprecation: In the grand finale of the songs
-->'''Lisa''': There is something worse...\\
'''Bart''':...And it really must blow....\\
'''Family''': ...When a long running series does a cheesy clip shoooow!