Episode - 4F17\\
First Aired - 4/20/1997
While Lisa implements a recycling program, Mr. Burns discovers that he's lost his fortune and now must live like a common man. With Lisa's help, Mr. Burns devises a [[ThePlan plan]] to regain his fortune.
!!This episode contains examples of:
* BeyondTheImpossible: After Lisa turned down Burns' offer, Homer experienced ''four'' simultaneous heart attacks (and a fifth one after Lisa tells Homer that 10% of $120,000,000 isn't $12,000[[note]]it's $12 million for those of you playing at home.[[/note]])
* ContinuityNod: When Lisa and Mr. Burns were arguing about recycling and it went to how wealthy Burns was, Lisa produced a copy of the biography Burns wrote ("Will There Ever Be a Rainbow?") from the season two episode where Homer forces Bart to donate blood to save Mr. Burns' life under the impression that they will be given money.
* ComicallyMissingThePoint: Homer
-->'''Kent Brockman:''' Remember millionaire C. Montgomery Burns? The man who [[Recap/TheSimpsonsWhoShotMrBurns blocked out our sun]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS2E10BartGetsHitByACar ran over a local boy]], and [[NoodleIncident stole Chrismas from 1981 to 1985]]? Well, guess who's flat broke, and picking up trash for a living?
-->'''Homer:''' Please be Flanders, please be Flanders...
** Also, when Lisa showed herself disgusted at knowing what the slurry named after her was made of, Mr. Burns thought a spoonful of it would have made her better. Sure, he didn't understand why Lisa didn't like the idea but he should have noticed she didn't.
* DistantReactionShot: When Homer ends up in the hospital after Lisa turned down Burns' offer, he bemoans the loss of what he ''thinks'' is $12,000. Lisa then began to reluctantly clarify to him how much she actually gave up[[note]]$12,000,000[[/note]]; cut to the hallway with an alarm going off about a 'Code Blue'[[note]]a heart attack[[/note]].
* EvilCannotComprehendGood / HeroWithAnFInGood: Mr. Burns has genuinely found a desire to do good, but he doesn't realize how wrong it is that Lil' Lisa's slurry is made from live sea creatures.
-->'''Lisa:''' You're ''still'' evil, and when you try to be good, you're ''even more'' evil!
* GrandFinale: In the DVD commentary, the writers and producers joke that they could have ended the series with this episode, since the ending implied that Homer died of a massive heart attack.
* GoneHorriblyRight: Lisa teaches Burns to recycle. And boy, does he...
* MyGodWhatHaveIDone: Lisa upon realizing what Lil's Lisa's slurry is made of.
* RichesToRags: Mr. Burns thanks to listening to spineless Yes-men. [[RagsToRiches Lisa helped him to become wealthy again]].
* ScrewTheMoneyIHaveRules: Lisa refuses to accept her share of the profits from Mr. Burns' sale of the Lil' Lisa's slurry factory. [[FlameBait Many fans have argued whether this was wise of her or not]].
* ShoutOut: The sequence when Mr. Burns tries to ask Lisa to help him spoofs the TitleSequence of ''Series/ThatGirl''.
** The scene where a confused Mr. Burns goes to a grocery store is inspired by an apocryphal account of GeorgeHWBush being amazed at a grocery scanner.
** The recycling center is called "Uriah's Heap", named after the character Uriah Heep from ''Literature/DavidCopperfield''. The hippie who owns the center is modeled after Dennis Hopper's photographer character from ''Film/ApocalypseNow''.
** The scene where Lisa runs down the streets of Springfield, trying to stop everyone from using Lil' Lisa's slurry spoofs ''Film/InvasionOfTheBodySnatchers'' and ''Film/SoylentGreen''.
-->'''Homer''': Well Lisa, I hope you learned your lesson. "Never help anyone".