After a disastrous field trip, Edna and the teachers agree to a strike as they have had it with Skinner cutting the school's budget to the point that he's selling the kids' futures short (never mind that the kids don't grow up or age in any way on the show and the only kids with a chance to make something of themselves are Lisa Simpson and Martin Prince). While Bart revels in the strike by making mischief, Lisa is suffering from not being in a classroom setting, Milhouse gets tutored, and the PTA decides to hire neighborhood people as scab teachers.
!!This episode contains examples of:
* AllCrimesAreEqual and DisproportionateRetribution: Doing anything and everything gets you paddled by Jasper.
* AmazinglyEmbarrassingParents: Marge. Her being a teacher makes Bart a bully magnet.
* BaitAndSwitch: While in bed, Marge announces her concerns about Bart and Lisa's behaviour, while Homer is distracted by Lisa's perpetual motion machine. Soon after, Homer calls Lisa in... to yell at her about the machine.
-->'''Homer''': In this house... WE OBEY THE LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS!
* CaptainObvious: The tour guide explains that cannon could go off if hit with the slightest touch. Considering that the cannon were pointing at a lookout tower, it wasn't loaded for safety reasons ("It's just common sense").
* ComicallyMissingThePoint: Homer thinking Canada is a southern country after Marge tells the family that the kids had trouble finding Canada on the map.
** When Moe volunteers to teach Bart's class, Bart rigs the class attendance sheet with pun names like "Maya Buttreeks." Moe thinks the children are laughing at his big ears and runs out crying.
* CreepyChild: Bart takes to flying a kite at night, and has very noticeable bags under his eyes as he does.
* DisproportionateRetribution: Kids trying to learn for free? The actors try to kill them.
* DrivenToMadness: Lisa, from not being in school.
** Bart, in a slightly different sense.
* EducationMama: Marge, when she realizes that Bart's and Lisa's personalities have been affected by the strike.
** To a lesser extent, Milhouse's mom, who hires a tutor for her son after hearing about the strike.
* HairTriggerExplosive: Subverted, a tour guide in Fort Springfield is giving a lecture on a "fully restored and in ready to fire condition" Civil War cannon aimed directly at the base of a manned lookout tower. She mentions that these cannons are "''very'' sensitive and that the "''slightest'' jolt" can set them off as the Springfield Elementary bus starts swerving towards the cannon. The bus hits it and... one of the cannon's wheels falls off.
-->'''Tour Guide''': Of course for safety reasons, we don't keep the cannon ''loaded''. [[RealityEnsues That's just common sense.]]
* HiddenDepths: Homer, of all people, complains about Lisa's so-called perpetual motion machine... because it "just keeps getting faster and faster".
* IncrediblyLameFun: Milhouse gets a recess during his tutoring, but with the assignment of reading two chapters of a book about the Teapot Dome Scandal. He cheers anyway.
* ManipulativeBastard: Bart manages to make the bad situation between Skinner and the teachers worse.
** And again, at the bank.
* MisplacedKindergartenTeacher: Inverted. One of the teachers the PTA gets is Professor Frink, who tries to explain physics to ''kindergartners''.
* NonIndicativeName: The episode is called "The PTA Disbands," yet it focuses on a teacher's strike. Lampshaded when a person horrifyingly yells [[TitleDrop "The PTA has disbanded!"]], and jumps out the nearby window, before Flanders explains that the PTA has ''not'' disbanded, prompting that man to jump back through the window, dusting himself off.
* SesquipedalianLoquaciousness: Milhouse, after an extensive amount of tutoring.
* ShoutOut: Jasper's "That's a paddlin'..." spiel spoofs the "Night in the box" monologue from ''Film/CoolHandLuke''.
** The bank scene includes a reference to Film/ItsAWonderfulLife. It goes wrong.
* SuckySchool: Springfield Elementary has gotten so bad that even the most disinterested teachers can't ignore it.
* TookALevelInDumbass: Bart, during the strike. There's a whole runner of him being unable to even say "what".
* WeNeedADistraction: A variant. While Bart is being pummelled, Kearney distracts Marge with a jig.
* WhatHappenedToTheMouse: This happens twice!
** When ‹ter is attacked, the bus just leaves him and he isnít talked about (which sets up several jokes in later episodes about how ‹ter is missing).
** What about Jasper after Abe was forced to abandon him?
* WouldHurtAChild: The staff at the Diz-Nee historical park are willingly to club children. As the commentary track points out, Uter is most likely ''killed'' (or at the very least seriously injured) by the actors.