After Homer buys a trampoline for the backyard (and every kid in town ends up injured from it), Marge realizes that she's a nag who doesn't know how to have any fun, so she listens to a self-help guru named Brad Goodman, who begins using Bart as a model on how people should act.
!!Tropes of this episode:
* AGodIAm: Bart feels like this...until Lisa tells him he's sitting on an ice cream sandwich and later, Bart becomes sick of everyone acting like him.
* AsHimself: Music/JamesBrown
* BigDamnHeroes: Homer tries to do this by helping Bart escape inside a parade float. The disguise is quickly blown, though the townspeople decided to go to the old mill to get cider.
* TheBore: Marge is called out on this. The funnest thing she's ever done is make sloppy joes and clips from such episodes as "Homer the Heretic," "Dog of Death," and "Colonel Homer" illustrate that all Marge does is ruin everyone's fun by nagging.
-->'''Homer:''' Marge, I'm feeling a lot of shame right now.\\
'''Marge:''' I'm hearing that you feel a lot of shame.\\
'''Homer:''' And I feel that you hear my shame.
* TheChosenOne: Bart Simpson
* ControlFreak: Homer accuses Marge of being this, complete with a nagging montage.
* CowboyCop: [=McGarnagle=].
--> '''DaChief:''' You busted up that crack house pretty bad, [=McGarnagle=]. Did you really have to break so much furniture?
--> '''[=McGarnagle=]:''' You tell me, Chief. You had a pretty good view from behind your desk.
--> '''Chief:''' You're off the case [=McGarnagle=]!
--> '''[=McGarnagle=]:''' You're off your case chief!
--> '''Chief:''' What does that mean exactly?
* EditedForSyndication: This part from the self-help video's introduction is edited out:
-->'''Troy:''' A few weeks ago, I was a washed-up actor with a drinking problem. Then Brad Goodman came along and gave me this job and a can of fortified wine! ''(drinks some)'' Ah...sweet liquor eases the pain.\\
''(after Brad Goodman is introduced)''\\
'''Brad:''' Thank you so much, Troy. And by the way, I'm not happy you're still drinking, but at least you're down to one from more than fifty.
** Also, the whole "[[LeaningOnTheFourthWall If this were a cartoon...]]" portion of the trampoline cliff scene, the rest of Homer's attempts to get rid of the trampoline[[note]]Homer tries to cut it up with a circular saw that was plugged into the kitchen wall and ends up ripping the wall out, then goes LaughingMad after he tells the trampoline that someday it will rust[[/note]] (including Bart's successful solution[[note]]chaining it up with a bike lock and having Snake Jailbird take it away[[/note]]), and Otto letting the cars park anywhere during the Do What You Feel Festival.
--> '''Homer''': Well, here we are at the Brad Goodman lecture.\\
'''Lisa''': We ''know'', dad.\\
'''Homer''': I just thought I'd remind everybody. After all, we did agree to attend this self-help seminar.\\
'''Bart''': [[LampshadeHanging What an odd thing to say.]]
* FetishRetardant: Patty & Selma ride horseback naked, but the townspeople are all disgusted by it (except the Sea Captain).
* FlatWhat: Lisa. See YouHaveGotToBeKiddingMe
* FullyAutomaticClipShow: When Marge asks Bart and Lisa if she's no fun and a nag, the show cuts to clips from previous episodes where Marge is a killjoy.
* IrritationIsTheSincerestFormOfFlattery: Bart soon believes this.
-->'''Skinner:''' ''*after hitting Bart with a slingshot*'' Eat my shorts, young man.
* NeverMyFault: The townsfolk blame Bart and chase him around town when the "Do What You Feel Like" policy ends up causing chaos.
* NoCelebritiesWereHarmed: Brad Goodman is a parody of motivational guru John Bradshaw.
* OOCIsSeriousBusiness: Pretty much a lot of people in Springfield, thanks to Bart.
* OhCrap: Bart let's out a flat "Eep" before getting chased by everyone.
* ShoutOut: Homer dropping the trampoline from a canyon is a homage to WesternAnimation/WileECoyoteAndTheRoadRunner.
** ''[=McGaranagle=]'' is a loose cannon CowboyCop in the style of Film/DirtyHarry. He even looks and sounds like Creator/ClintEastwood.
* YouHaveGotToBeKiddingMe: Lisa has this reaction.
** [[OnlySaneMan Only Sane Woman]]: Lisa. Bart becomes an OnlySaneMan after he grows bored of others emulating him.
* WithFriendsLikeThese: Apu is the one who spearheads the town into turning on Bart when things go berserk.
* YouMightRememberMeFrom: Troy [=McClure=]'s other self-help videos include ''Smoke Yourself Thin'' and ''Get Confidence, Stupid!''