After Homer buys a trampoline for the backyard (and every kid in town ends up injured from it), Marge realizes that she's a nag who doesn't know how to have any fun, so she listens to a self-help guru named Brad Goodman, who begins using Bart as a model on how people should act.
!!Tropes of this episode:
* AGodIAm: Bart feels like this
* AsHimself: Music/JamesBrown
* BigDamnHeroes: Homer tries to do this by helping Bart escape inside a parade float. The disguise is quickly blown, though the townspeople decided to go to the old mill to get cider.
* TheBore: Marge is called out on this.
* TheChosenOne: Bart Simpson
-->'''Homer:''' Marge, I'm feeling a lot of shame right now.\\
'''Marge:''' I'm hearing that you feel a lot of shame.\\
'''Homer:''' And I feel that you hear my shame.
* ControlFreak: Homer accuses Marge of being this, complete with a nagging montage.
* EditedForSyndication: This part from the self-help video's introduction is edited out:
-->'''Troy:''' A few weeks ago, I was a washed-up actor with a drinking problem. Then Brad Goodman came along and gave me this job and a can of fortified wine! ''(drinks some)'' Ah...sweet liquor eases the pain.\\
''(after Brad Goodman is introduced)''\\
'''Brad:''' Thank you so much, Troy. And by the way, I'm not happy you're still drinking, but at least you're down to one from more than fifty.
** Also, the whole "[[LeaningOnTheFourthWall If this were a cartoon...]]" portion of the trampoline cliff scene, the rest of Homer's attempts to get rid of the trampoline (including Bart's successful solution), and Otto letting the cars park anywhere during the Do What You Feel Festival.
--> '''Homer''': Well, here we are at the Brad Goodman lecture.\\
'''Lisa''': We ''know'', dad.\\
'''Homer''': I just thought I'd remind everybody. After all, we did agree to attend this self-help seminar.\\
'''Bart''': [[LampshadeHanging What an odd thing to say.]]
* FetishRetardant: Patty & Selma ride horseback naked, but the townspeople are all disgusted by it (except the Sea Captain).
* FlatWhat: Lisa. See YouHaveGotToBeKiddingMe
* FullyAutomaticClipShow: When Marge asks Bart and Lisa if she's no fun and a nag, the show cuts to clips from previous episodes where Marge is a killjoy.
* IrritationIsTheSincerestFormOfFlattery: Bart soon believes this.
-->'''Skinner:''' ''*after hitting Bart with a slingshot*'' Eat my shorts, young man.
* MemeticMutation: Not really to the fans at large, but James Brown's delivery of "This bandstand wasn't double-bolted" made it a popular saying around the show's offices.
** "TRAMAPOLINE! TRABABOLINE!"
* NeverMyFault: The townsfolk blame Bart and chase him around town when the "Do What You Feel Like" policy ends up causing chaos.
* NoCelebritiesWereHarmed: Brad Goodman is a parody of motivational guru John Bradshaw.
* OOCIsSeriousBusiness: Pretty much a lot of people in Springfield, thanks to Bart.
* OhCrap: Bart let's out a flat "Eep" before getting chased by everyone.
* ShoutOut: Homer dropping the trampoline from a canyon is a homage to WesternAnimation/WileECoyoteAndTheRoadRunner.
* YouHaveGotToBeKiddingMe: Lisa has this reaction.
** [[OnlySaneMan Only Sane Woman]]: Lisa. Bart becomes an OnlySaneMan after he grows bored of others emulating him.
* WithFriendsLikeThese: Apu is the one who spearheads the town into turning on Bart when things go berserk.
* YouMightRememberMeFrom: Troy [=McClure=]'s other self-help videos include ''Smoke Yourself Thin'' and ''Get Confidence, Stupid!''