After Homer buys a trampoline for the backyard (and nearly every kid in town ends up injured from it), Marge realizes that she's a bossy nag who doesn't know how to have any fun, so she listens to a supposed self-help guru named Brad Goodman, who begins using Bart as a role model on how people should act.
!!Tropes of this episode:
* AGodIAm: Bart feels like this...until Lisa points out that he's sitting on an ice cream sandwich and later, when he becomes sick of everyone acting like him.
* AesopAmnesia: As a result of the town's free thinking going haywire, Marge returns to killjoy demeanour by the end of the episode:
-->'''Marge:''' I knew if only I had nagged more.
* AsHimself: Music/JamesBrown
* BigDamnHeroes: Homer tries to do this by helping Bart escape inside a parade float. The disguise is quickly blown, though they make it anyway, as the townspeople got bored and decided to go to the old mill to get cider.
* TheBore: Marge is called out on this--the most fun thing she can recall doing in the past month is simply making sloppy joes for dinner (which Homer scoffs isn't fun), and clips from such episodes as "Homer the Heretic," "Dog of Death," and "Colonel Homer" illustrate that all Marge really does is ruin everyone's fun by nagging at them.
-->'''Homer:''' Marge, I'm feeling a lot of shame right now.\\
'''Marge:''' I'm hearing that you feel a lot of shame.\\
'''Homer:''' And I feel that you hear my shame.
* TheChosenOne: Bart Simpson
* ControlFreak: Homer accuses Marge of being this, complete with a nagging montage.
* CowboyCop: [=McGarnagle=].
--> '''DaChief:''' You busted up that crack house pretty bad, [=McGarnagle=]. Did you really have to break so much furniture?
--> '''[=McGarnagle=]:''' You tell me, Chief. You had a pretty good view from behind your desk.
--> '''Chief:''' You're off the case [=McGarnagle=]!
--> '''[=McGarnagle=]:''' You're off your case chief!
--> '''Chief:''' What does that mean exactly?
--> '''Homer''': Well, here we are at the Brad Goodman lecture.\\
'''Lisa''': We ''know'', dad.\\
'''Homer''': I just thought I'd remind everybody. After all, we did agree to attend this self-help seminar.\\
'''Bart''': [[LampshadeHanging What an odd thing to say.]]
* FanDisservice: Patty and Selma ride horseback naked, but the townspeople are all disgusted by it (except the Sea Captain).
* FlatWhat: Lisa. See YouHaveGotToBeKiddingMe
* FullyAutomaticClipShow: When Marge asks Bart and Lisa whether they agree with Homer's assessment about her, the show cuts to clips from previous episodes where Marge's killjoy tendencies are shown.
* IrritationIsTheSincerestFormOfFlattery: Bart soon believes this.
-->'''Skinner:''' ''*after hitting Bart with a slingshot*'' Eat my shorts, young man.
* IWarnedYou: Lisa was the only one not impressed by Goodman's theories. When things start to go wrong for Bart, she looks ''very'' smug.
* LowSpeedChase: Homer and Bart escaping in the parade float. It devolves to the point the angry mob just gets bored and leaves.
-->'''Skinner:''' Damn! They're very slowly getting away!
* NeverMyFault: The townsfolk blame Bart and chase him around town when the "Do What You Feel Like" policy ends up causing chaos, even though Brad Goodman was the one who encouraged them to act like Bart in the first place (with Reverend Lovejoy himself pointing it out).
* NoCelebritiesWereHarmed: Brad Goodman's a parody of motivational guru John Bradshaw.
* OOCIsSeriousBusiness: Pretty much a lot of people in Springfield, thanks to Bart.
* OhCrap: Bart let's out a flat "Eep" before getting chased by everyone.
* ShoutOut: Homer dropping the trampoline from a canyon is a homage to WesternAnimation/WileECoyoteAndTheRoadRunner.
** ''[=McGaranagle=]'' is a loose cannon CowboyCop in the style of Film/DirtyHarry. He even looks and sounds like Creator/ClintEastwood.
* YouHaveGotToBeKiddingMe: Lisa has this reaction.
** [[OnlySaneMan Only Sane Woman]]: Lisa--her brother becomes an OnlySaneMan after he grows bored of others emulating him.
* WithFriendsLikeThese: Apu is the one who spearheads the town into turning on Bart when things go berserk.
* YouMightRememberMeFrom: InUniverse. Troy [=McClure=]'s other self-help videos include ''Smoke Yourself Thin'' and ''Get Confidence, Stupid!''