After Homer buys a trampoline for the backyard (and nearly every kid in town ends up injured from it), Marge realizes that she's a bossy nag who doesn't know how to have any fun, so she listens to a supposed self-help guru named Brad Goodman, who begins using Bart as a role model on how people should act.
!!Tropes of this episode:
* AGodIAm: Bart feels like this...until Lisa points out that he's sitting on an ice cream sandwich and later, when he becomes sick of everyone acting like him.
* AesopAmnesia: As a result of the town's free thinking going haywire, Marge returns to killjoy demeanour by the end of the episode:
-->'''Marge:''' I knew if only I had nagged more.
* AsHimself: Music/JamesBrown
* BigDamnHeroes: Homer tries to do this by helping Bart escape inside a parade float. The disguise is quickly blown, though they make it anyway, as the townspeople got bored and decided to go to the old mill to get cider.
* BlatantLies: After Marge admits that she never realized people saw her that way, Lisa timidly asks if Marge is mad--Marge claims that she's not and that she's perfectly fine, but you can't tell that she's obviously very angry and offended to learn that people see her that way.
* TheBore: Marge is called out on this--while Homer admits that Marge was right in that getting the trampoline was ultimately a mistake, he also points out that he's at least willing to go out try new things and claims to his wife, "If ''you'' were in charge of everything, all people would ever do is work and go to church." And after Homer asks her to name one thing she did in the past month that was even remotely fun, all Marge can think of is a time she made sloppy joes (after claiming that she can name ten things), which Homer scoffs isn't fun.
-->'''Homer:''' Marge, I'm feeling a lot of shame right now.\\
'''Marge:''' I'm hearing that you feel a lot of shame.\\
'''Homer:''' And I feel that you hear my shame.
* TheChosenOne: Bart Simpson.
* ControlFreak: Homer accuses Marge of being this, complete with a nagging montage.
* CowboyCop: [=McGarnagle=].
--> '''DaChief:''' You busted up that crack house pretty bad, [=McGarnagle=]. Did you really have to break so much furniture?
--> '''[=McGarnagle=]:''' You tell me, Chief. You had a pretty good view from behind your desk.
--> '''Chief:''' You're off the case [=McGarnagle=]!
--> '''[=McGarnagle=]:''' You're off your case chief!
--> '''Chief:''' What does that mean exactly?
--> '''Homer''': Well, here we are at the Brad Goodman lecture.\\
'''Lisa''': We ''know'', dad.\\
'''Homer''': I just thought I'd remind everybody. After all, we did agree to attend this self-help seminar.\\
'''Bart''': [[LampshadeHanging What an odd thing to say.]]
* FanDisservice: Patty and Selma ride horseback naked, but the townspeople are all disgusted by it (except the Sea Captain).
* FlatWhat: Lisa. See YouHaveGotToBeKiddingMe
* FullyAutomaticClipShow: When Marge asks Bart and Lisa whether they agree with what Homer said about her, they're a little hesitant, but ultimately agree with their father's assessment--the show even cuts to clips from previous episodes (such as "Homer the Heretic," "Dog of Death," and "Colonel Homer") which prove that all Marge really does is ruin everyone's fun by nagging at them.
* TheHedonist: What the people of Springfield become in lines with Bart's saying of "I do what I feel like".
* IrritationIsTheSincerestFormOfFlattery: Bart soon believes this.
-->'''Skinner:''' ''*after hitting Bart with a slingshot*'' Eat my shorts, young man.
* IWarnedYou: Lisa was the only one not impressed by Goodman's theories. When things start to go wrong for Bart, she looks ''very'' smug.
* LongList: Brad Goodman's "feel bad rainbow":
--> '''Brad Goodman''': Depression, insomnia, motor mouth, darting eyes, indecisiveness, decisiveness, uncontrollable falling down, geriatric profanity disorder (or GPD), and chronic nagging.
* LowSpeedChase: Homer and Bart escaping in the parade float. It devolves to the point the angry mob just gets bored and leaves.
-->'''Skinner:''' Damn! They're very slowly getting away!
* NeverMyFault: The townsfolk blame Bart and chase him around town when the "Do What You Feel Like" policy ends up causing chaos, even though Brad Goodman was the one who encouraged them to act like Bart in the first place (with Reverend Lovejoy himself pointing it out).
* NoCelebritiesWereHarmed: Brad Goodman's a parody of motivational guru John Bradshaw.
* OOCIsSeriousBusiness: Pretty much a lot of people in Springfield, thanks to Bart.
* OhCrap: Bart let's out a flat "Eep" before getting chased by everyone.
** Lisa, as usual.
** Bart becomes one after he grows bored of others emulating him.
** Homer dropping the trampoline from a canyon is a homage to WesternAnimation/WileECoyoteAndTheRoadRunner.
** ''[=McGaranagle=]'' is a loose cannon CowboyCop in the style of Film/DirtyHarry. He even looks and sounds like Creator/ClintEastwood.
* WithFriendsLikeThese: Apu is the one who spearheads the town into turning on Bart when things go berserk.
* YouHaveGotToBeKiddingMe: Lisa has this reaction.
* YouMightRememberMeFrom: InUniverse. Troy [=McClure=]'s other self-help videos include ''Smoke Yourself Thin'' and ''Get Confidence, Stupid!''