Episode - 1F19\\
First Aired - 5/5/1994
Bart sneaks out of school and finds himself at a party for Mayor Quimby's nephew, Freddy — but when Freddy gets in trouble for allegedly assaulting a French waiter, Bart must choose to keep his mouth shut about the ordeal or expose the truth and admit that he cut school to see it happen.
!!This episode contains examples of:
* BookDumb: Homer didn't know the meaning of words like "deadlocked", "sequestered" or "if" until Principal Skinner explained them to him.
* TheDeterminator: Skinner will stop at nothing to get Bart back into the classroom. When Bart destroys a bridge, Skinner just ''walks through the river''.
-->Bart: Oh my god. He's like some sort of... [[BuffySpeak non... giving-up... school guy!]]
** NonGivingUpSchoolGuy: TropeNamer
* HollywoodNewEngland: Freddy, like all the Quimbys, has a Kennedyesque Boston accent. In fact, his insistance that the French waiter pronounce chowder "correctly" as ''chowdah'' is the whole reason the trial is taking place.
* JuryDuty: Homer's reaction to being summoned for it was wanting to make Freddy pay for it.
* TheKlutz: [[spoiler: TheReveal as to where the French waiter's injuries ''really'' came from. Freddy teased him a little, then got distracted by a bottle of champagne and walked off with it. The waiter promptly slipped and stumbled around the kitchen, brutally beating himself against various appliances. The case is made when the waiter, standing up to protest this as defamation, undergoes a similar experience in the courtroom before falling into the back of an open truck carrying a load of mousetraps.]]
* NotHelpingYourCase: When Freddy's attorney says it's ludricous that his client would attack someone for the way he says chowder, Freddy snaps back "That's 'chowdah'! ''Chowdah!'' '''''IllKillYou I'll kill all of you! Especially those of you in the jury!'''''"
** [[spoiler:In a deleted scene, Freddy walks out of the courthouse, only to grab the waiter demanding to say 'chowdah' correctly. And the cops pull him back inside.]]
* PaperThinDisguise: While skipping class, Bart found Homer and then hid before Homer saw him. To avoid getting caught for skipping class, Bart pushed his hair forward in hopes Homer wouldn't recognize him. Homer, on the other hand, actually saw and recognized Bart but was too afraid of getting caught for skipping work to care about the boy skipping classes so he put a hair comb on his face to pass it as a moustache. They pretended not to recognize each other.
* ReCut: Homer is watching ''FreeWilly'', but instead of making the famous jump, the whale doesn't and crushes the boy.
-->'''Homer:''' Oh, I don't like this new director's cut.
* RogueJuror: Homer deadlocks the jury for the sole purpose of staying sequestered and enjoying the free hotel room and amenities it entails.
* SavedByTheAwesome: Bart tries to invoke this, explaining that if he hadn't skipped school an innocent man would have gone to prison, and thus should not be punished for it. [[spoiler:Skinner gives him three months detention anyway, stating that he's a "petty, petty man." Then he adds an extra month.]]
* ScrewTheRulesIHaveMoney: Mayor Quimby bribed witnesses to help his nephew's case.
* SpecialGuest: Creator/PhilHartman as Lionel Hutz
* WhereTheHellIsSpringfield: Based on a comment by Kent Brockman in this episode, it's in a state where it's illegal to broadcast trials.