Episode - 9F21\\
First Aired - 9/30/1993
When Bart and Lisa find a record of a barbershop quartet called the Be Sharps, featuring Homer, Apu, Skinner and Barney on the cover, Homer tells them of the Be Sharps' rise and fall, in a hilarious send-up of the Beatles' career.
!!This episode contains examples of (YMMV tropes can be found [[YMMV/TheSimpsonsS5E1HomersBarbershopQuartet here]]):
* ACappella: This trope is a must for an episode about Homer's barbershop quartet.
* AFoolAndHisNewMoneyAreSoonParted: What happened to Willie during the Be Sharps' tour.
* AsHimself: David Crosby; Music/GeorgeHarrison
* AbbeyRoadCrossing: The cover of "Bigger Than Jesus" is a direct parody.
* BackstoryOfTheDay: As per usual with many flashback episodes, with Homer revealing his short time as a superstar, that was seemingly forgotten about and never mentioned prior to this episode (with the kids even Lampshading this heavily at the end of the episode). This likely counts as an AssPull, though it may reference [[TakeThat John Lennon's own attempts to hide his stardom from his child until he came across some merchandise]].
-->'''Bart:''' Did you screw up like the Beatles and say you were bigger than Jesus?
-->'''Homer:''' All the time. That was the title of our second album.
* ComicallyMissingThePoint: When Homer meets George Harrison. "Oh my God! Oh my God...where did you get the brownie?".
* ExtraExtraReadAllAboutIt: A paperboy announced the Be Sharps singing at a roof. A man bought a newspaper and found out it had no mention of the Be Sharps.
* ItsBeenDone: The TropeNamer
* ThePeteBest: InUniverse: Chief Wiggum, kicked out for being "too Music/VillagePeople."
* SpecialGuest: The Dapper Dans as the singing voices of "The Be Sharps"
* SgtPeppersShoutOut: The back cover of the "Bigger Than Jesus" album is a spoof of the back cover of ''Music/SgtPeppersLonelyHeartsClubBand''.
* ShoutOut: The Be Sharps' career mirrors Music/TheBeatles'. This is lampshaded repeatedly throughout the episode, once by an actual Beatle.
* TakeThat: The Grammy Awards.
-->'''Homer:''' Here. ''(hands bellhop his statue)''
-->'''Bellhop:''' Oh boy, an awards statue. Oh wait, it's a Grammy. ''(throws it down the balcony)''
-->'''Man:''' Hey, don't throw your garbage down here! ''(throws it back up and Homer and knocks him out)''
** Yoko Ono naturally comes in for this, with her counterpart having a "song" that's nothing but her saying "Number 8" and Barney belching.
* TerribleIntervieweesMontage: After dropping Wiggum, the rest of the band go through one of these looking for his replacement. Candidates include Abe Simpson singing a "hip" version of ''Old [=MacDonald=]'', Willie butchering ''Downtown'' with his Scottish accent, Jasper singing ''Theme From A Summer Place''[[note]]this part is usually cut in syndication and only seen on the season five DVD set[[/note]], and [[PaperThinDisguise Dr. Dolittle]];
-->'''Skinner:''' Good lord! Dr. Dolittle is Chief Wiggum!
-->'''Wiggum:''' Uh oh, this bird's gonna fly! ''(Jumps out window)''
* TooDumbToLive: The Be Sharps had marketed a funny foam that was recalled for being poisonous if ingested. Homer then says if anyone was dumb enough to eat it, they deserve to die. Cut to Bart doing just that (eating the foam, not dying from it).
* WhatHappenedToTheMouse: Bart and Lisa wonder aloud several things (mostly about Homer's hidden musical abilities) of course these things are never explained in the episode.