Episode - 1F16\\
First Aired - 4/14/1994
Mr. Burns marks Bart as the heir to his fortune, and has him moved into his mansion to learn the ways of being evil.
!!This episode contains examples of:
* AreYouPonderingWhatImPondering: Marge and Homer after Mr. Burns signed the papers naming Bart his heir.
** "Yeah, let's push him down the steps."
* ComicallyMissingThePoint: At the beginning of the episode, Homer got an "award". When he learned the "award" consisted of sweeping chimneys, he gave ''another'' "Woo-Hoo".
* ConstrainedWriting: Mr Burns tells Lenny that he will be fired unless he is able to explain why he shouldn't be without using the letter E.
-->'''Lenny:''' Uh, I'm a... good... work... guy...
-->'''Mr. Burns:''' You're fired.
-->'''Lenny:''' But I didn't say...
-->'''Mr. Burns:''' [[YourBlankIsBroken You will]]. ''(pushes trapdoor button)''
-->'''Lenny:''' ''(falling)'' [=EEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee=]!
* ContinuitySnarl: Krusty reads a teleprompter in a 1982 episode of his show, even though he is supposed to be [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS1E12KrustyGetsBusted illiterate]].
** When Mr. Burn's life flashes before his eyes, we see a nanny feeding him a bottle (implying that Burns has always been from a rich family), but in the episode [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS5E4Rosebud "Rosebud,"]] Mr. Burns' childhood was very similar to that of Charles Foster Kane from ''Citizen Kane'' (read: he grew up in a poor, but loving family and was adopted by a twisted, loveless billionaire).
*** It doesn't help that "[[Recap/TheSimpsonsWhoShotMrBurns Who Shot Mr. Burns? Part 1]]" has Mr. Burn recalling both "Rosebud" and this episode... in the same scene.
* DeletedScene and WhatCouldHaveBeen: Mr. Burns casually locking Homer out of the mansion after Homer dares Burns to do his worst was originally supposed to be the infamous sequence where Burns sics a robot replica of flamboyant fitness guru Richard Simmons on Homer, only for it to malfunction and explode after Smithers shoots it in the eye. The writers have claimed that this sequence wasn't all that funny (to them and the test audience), but became a smash during college lectures and animation conventions. The scene was also included on the season seven ClipShow episode "The Simpsons' 138th Episode Spectacular."
** Richard Simmons was also supposed to voice his robotic counterpart, but turned it down because he didn't want to voice himself as a robot. Creator/HankAzaria was brought in as his replacement.
* DescriptionCut: When Homer was cleaning chimneys, he commented the higher ups were probably working harder. Cut to Mr. Burns relaxing at a bathtub watching Homer's misery on TV and [[PassThePopcorn eating potato chips]].
* EpicFail: Mr. Burns is so weak that having a sponge placed over him causes him to sink and nearly drown in the bathtub.
* GuiltyPleasures: Homer's "secret shame" is revealed to be eating flowers.
* HeirClubForMen: Burns wouldn't mark any girl as his heir (and Milhouse rethinks his plan to audition again dressed as a girl)
* HoistByHisOwnPetard: Bart lures Mr Burns into falling down the same hatch he uses to dispose of employees
* LiteralAssKicking: Mr. Burns does this to Bart after the latter's horrible audition. Homer still cracks up over it when giving his "never try" lesson to his kids.
-->'''Homer:''' ''(chuckles)'' Right in the butt. That was great.
* ParentalFavoritism: Homer telling Lisa to stop getting on the way of the peas her rich brother throws.
* ScrewTheMoneyIHaveRules: Bart loves his father more than he loves Mr. Burns' money.
* ShoutOut: The actor Burns hires to play Homer is voiced by Dan Castellaneta, doing an impression of Michael Caine. The producers wanted Michael Caine to actually voice himself playing Homer Simpson, but Caine turned it down.
** The scene where the robotic Richard Simmons gets shot in the face, which regenerates, spoofs a similar scene from ''Film/Terminator2JudgmentDay''.
* SpoofAesop: "Kids, you tried your best, and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try."
* YouNoTakeCandle: Bart's audition to be Mr. Burns's heir consists of reading off horribly written cue cards from Homer.
-->'''Bart:''' Hello, Mister... Kurns. I bad want... money now. Me sick.\\
'''Homer:''' Ooh, he card reads good.\\
'''Bart:''' So pick please me, Mr. Burns.\\
'''Homer:''' It's "Kurns", stupid!\\
'''Marge:''' No it's not.