Episode - 1F16\\
First Aired - 4/14/1994
After nearly drowning in his bathtub, Mr. Burns realizes that, [[FridgeHorror if he did die, there'd be no one to carry on his wealth and legacy]][[note]]for those who ask, "What about Smithers?", Mr. Burns explains that his faithful assistant will be buried alive with him[[/note]], since he has no children[[note]]at least not until season eight's "Burns Baby Burns"[[/note]], so he holds an audition for his next heir. When all the kids (including Bart and Lisa) lose out, Bart vandalizes Burns' house and wins a place in the old man's heart...but the more he stays with Mr. Burns, the more The Simpsons fear that Bart is becoming Burns-like.
!!This episode contains examples of:
* AreYouPonderingWhatImPondering: Marge and Homer after Mr. Burns signed the papers naming Bart his heir.
--> '''Homer:''' "Yeah, let's push him down the steps."
* ComicallyMissingThePoint: At the beginning of the episode, Homer got an "award". When he learned the "award" consisted of sweeping chimneys, he gave ''another'' "Woo-Hoo".
* ConstrainedWriting: Mr Burns tells Lenny that he will be fired unless he is able to explain why he shouldn't be without using the letter E.
-->'''Lenny:''' Uh, I'm a... good... work... guy...
-->'''Mr. Burns:''' You're fired.
-->'''Lenny:''' But I didn't say...
-->'''Mr. Burns:''' [[YourBlankIsBroken You will]]. ''(pushes trapdoor button)''
-->'''Lenny:''' ''(falling)'' [=EEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee=]!
* ContinuitySnarl: Krusty reads a teleprompter in a 1982 episode of his show, even though he is supposed to be [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS1E12KrustyGetsBusted illiterate]].
** When Mr. Burn's life flashes before his eyes, we see a nanny feeding him a bottle (implying that Burns has always been from a rich family), but in the episode [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS5E4Rosebud "Rosebud,"]] Mr. Burns' childhood was very similar to that of Charles Foster Kane from ''Film/CitizenKane'' (read: he grew up in a poor, but loving family and was adopted by a twisted, loveless billionaire).
*** It doesn't help that "[[Recap/TheSimpsonsWhoShotMrBurns Who Shot Mr. Burns? Part 1]]" has Mr. Burn recalling both "Rosebud" and this episode... in the same scene.
* CrazyPrepared: As the commentary points out, there's no logical reason for Krusty to have a map of the Falkland Islands on his show unless he somehow knew they were going to be invaded.
* DescriptionCut: When Homer was cleaning chimneys, he commented the higher ups were probably working harder. Cut to Mr. Burns relaxing at a bathtub watching Homer's misery on TV and [[PassThePopcorn eating potato chips]].
* EpicFail: Mr. Burns is so weak that having a sponge placed over him causes him to sink and nearly drown in the bathtub.
* GuiltyPleasures: Homer's "secret shame" is revealed to be eating flowers.
* HeirClubForMen: Burns wouldn't mark any girl as his heir (and Milhouse rethinks his plan to audition again dressed as a girl)
* HoistByHisOwnPetard: Bart lures Mr Burns into falling down the same hatch he uses to dispose of employees
* LiteralAssKicking: Mr. Burns does this to Bart after the latter's horrible audition. Homer still cracks up over it when giving his "never try" lesson to his kids.
-->'''Homer:''' ''(chuckles)'' Right in the butt. That was great.
* ParentalFavoritism: Homer telling Lisa to stop getting on the way of the peas her rich brother throws.
* ScrewTheMoneyIHaveRules: Bart loves his father more than he loves Mr. Burns' money.
** The actor Burns hires to play Homer is voiced by Dan Castellaneta, doing an impression of Michael Caine. The producers wanted Michael Caine to actually voice himself playing Homer Simpson, but Caine turned it down.
** The part during the deleted scene where the robotic Richard Simmons gets shot in the face, which regenerates, spoofs a similar scene from ''Film/Terminator2JudgmentDay''. Smithers taking a sawn-off pump shotgun out of his jacket in the same scene spoofs how Kyle Reese carried a shotgun in ''Film/TheTerminator''.
** When Mr. Burns sees Bart from his window and asks what that day is, a random kid claims it's Christmas. In ''Literature/AChristmasCarol'', Ebenezer Scrooge interacts with a random kid that way after seeing how the future will be if he doesn't learn his lesson.
* SpoofAesop: "Kids, you tried your best, and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try."
* TemptingFate: Krusty explains how he can deliver a pizza to Mr. Burns' mansion while his show is on live by saying he put on an old rerun, and no-one will tell the difference.
-->'''Rerun!Krusty:''' ''(is handed a telegram)'' Children, remain calm. The Falkland Islands have just been invaded. I repeat, the Falklands have just been invaded!
* YouNoTakeCandle: Bart's audition to be Mr. Burns's heir consists of reading off horribly written cue cards from Homer.
-->'''Bart:''' Hello, Mister... Kurns. I bad want... money now. Me sick.\\
'''Homer:''' Ooh, he card reads good.\\
'''Bart:''' So pick please me, Mr. Burns.\\
'''Homer:''' It's "Kurns", stupid!\\
'''Marge:''' No it's not.\\