Bart wins a radio contest and picks the gag prize (a full-grown African elephant) instead of the cash prize ($10,000), which puts the family in financial turmoil once again.
* [[AndImTheQueenOfSheba And I'm Edward G. Robinson]]: Chief Wiggum's reaction after several reports of a rampaging elephant and a liquor store robbery with an officer down.
* CrazyPrepared: More on the crazy side, but the manager of a peanut butter factory insisted the workers spent two hours a day preparing themselves for elephant raids. Too bad he wasted time bragging to the workers.
* ElectricTorture: Snake does this to Chief Wiggum and the other police officers when he takes over the department and restrains the officers while taking their uniforms, guns, and tasers. Bill and Marty don't take it seriously.
* ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin: Bart got an elephant.
* GiantEyeOfDoom: Marge is horrified when she wakes up and sees Stompy's eye peeking through her bedroom window.
* InsaneTrollLogic: When Homer was considering selling Stompy the Elephant to an ivory dealer, he pointed the dealer's ivory-made stuff as evidence he'd be less likely to harm Stompy than one whose ivory reserves were low.
* ObviouslyEvil: The ivory dealers name is Mr ''Blackheart''
* RealityEnsues: Similar to the issues with Lisa's pony in season 3 (and later, Duncan the race horse in season 11), an elephant would be far too expensive for a middle class family to keep as a pet, and a good portion of the episode is about Homer trying to sell it.
** The original 1950s version of ''ThePriceIsRight'': A contestant was told he had won an African elephant … and then told he could decide (later) whether to take a $4,000 cash substitute. The contestant – much like Bart did more than 35 years later – chose the elephant, and when legal and other threats arose, the producers complied.
** ''TheSoundOfMusic'': The "Do-Re-Mi" song when Homer crashes the car into a statue of a deer.
** The shot of Stampy looking through Marge's window parodies ''Film/JurassicPark''.
* SkywardScream: "That wasn't part of our deal, Blackheart! THAT! WASN'T! PART!"
* TakeThat: The Republicans were described as "plain evil" people who "want what's worse for everyone" and the Democrats as people who "can't govern" and "hate life and our[them]selves".
** Mister Blackheart lists among his previous occupations whale-hunter, seal-clubber and [[BitingTheHandHumor President of the Fox Network]].
* UpToEleven: When the family has finally finished cleaning the house, how long does it take for it to get messed up again? ''The time it takes for the double hinged kitchen door to swing open''.
* WaxingLyrical: When Homer hits a deer statue, the dialogue quotes the "Do Re Mi" song from ''Theatre/TheSoundOfMusic''.
'''Lisa:''' A deer!\\
'''Marge:''' A female deer!