Episode - 8F06\\
First Aired - 11/7/1991
After missing out on getting Lisa's saxophone reed to her before a talent show, Homer decides to make it up to his daughter by getting her the one thing she wants most: a pony, which puts the family in financial crisis yet again and drives Homer to take a second job as a Kwik-E-Mart clerk.
!!This episode contains examples of:
* BlatantLies: As a bleary-eyed Homer staggers out the door to work his night job, he sleepily tells Bart that he's going for "an eight hour walk."
* BreakTheHaughty: The lady who runs the pony farm whose first 2 scenes were more or less her being snarky to Homer, is actually moved by Lisa's goodbye to Princess. Though she lampshades her lack of tone changing despite it.
--> '''Pony Farm Owner:''' Although there is no change in my patrician facade my heart is breaking.
* DeadpanSnarker: The pet shop clerk and the lady who runs the pony farm.
* DiabolusExMachina: For unexplained reasons, Lisa's mentor, Bleeding Gums Murphy happens to be a judge at the school talent show just to add to the humiliation of her disastrous performance.
* DisproportionateRetribution: Bart's impression of Principal Skinner causes the real Skinner to give him 1000 days detention.
* EarlyInstallmentWeirdness: Ralph Wiggum appears watching Lisa ride her pony. Not only is his one line ("But what man can tame her?") very out of character with Ralph's better known characterization, but Ralph speaks in Nelson's voice.
-->'''Kid:''' "My ding-a-ling! My ding-a-ling! I want to play with my ding-a-li--"\\
'''Principal Skinner:''' ''[pushes the kid off stage]'' THIS ACT IS OVER!!
* HeroicRROD: In one of his biggest moments of selflessness, Homer nearly works himself to death just so Lisa can keep her pony.
* HypocriticalHumor: When Moe suggested Homer to buy the reed before buying the beer (Moe's is next door to King Toot's Music Shop), Homer replied that he didn't tell Moe how to do his job. Later he told Moe how to hold the beer mug while filling it.
* JerkassRealization: Viewing the home movie of Homer ignoring Lisa when she takes her first steps and says her first words gives Homer a nasty case of reality of how bad a father he's been to her in the past.
* NeverMyFault: That's what Principal Skinner thought of Lisa when she said her music was bad because of a faulty saxophone reed.
* NoodleIncident: Moe apparently saved the owner of the music store and his wife from a burning car at some point.
** Homer dreaming of being part of some prehistoric apes who worship a monolith references the opening of ''Film/TwoThousandOneASpaceOdyssey''.
** Lisa discovering the pony in her bed references a famous scene in ''Film/TheGodfather.''
* SpecialGuest: Frank Welker as the animal noises for Princess the pony and Santa's Little Helper; Tracey Ullman as the Katherine Hepburn-esque stable manager/horse saleswoman.
* UngratefulBastard: Moe allegedly once saved the lives of the owner of the music store and his family (see NoodleIncident). He feels quite put upon when Moe asks that he interrupt his beer to open his store a short while longer for Homer, insisting that calls it even.