Episode - 8F21\\
First Aired - 4/23/1992
After going to a [[Film/ThisIsSpinalTap Spinal Tap]] concert, Bart is fired up to be a rock star. Meanwhile, Otto the bus driver loses his license, his job, and his apartment and crashes with The Simpsons.
!!This episode contains examples of (YMMV tropes [[YMMV/TheSimpsonsS3E22TheOttoShow here]]):
* ADayInTheLimelight: For Otto Mann.
* AndThatLittleGirlWasMe: When Otto tells Lisa his version of the 'Maniac in the backseat' UrbanLegend, he says he knows it because "I...was that maniac", resulting in a SkywardScream from Lisa, and Homer making the decision to kick Otto out of the house.
-->'''Otto''': Hey, I was just kidding!
* BrandNameTakeover: Referenced. Bart is appalled to see that Otto is reduced to living in a dumpster but Otto ''wishes'' he was classy enough for a real Dumpster and is instead stuck with a Trash-Co waste disposal unit.
* BritishRockstar: Bart fantasizes about becoming one, actually looking forward to being a drugged-out mess who alienates his other bandmates and cares more about the excesses of SexDrugsAndRockAndRoll rather than making music.
-->'''Milhouse:''' You changed, man! It used to be about the music!\\
'''Bart:''' [[BigShutUp I said, slag off!]]
* CheapHeat: Spinal Tap uses this to rev up the Springfieldians, though David St. Hubbins needs the name of the town taped to the back of his guitar to remember it, and when they're forced to end the set he says "Good night, Springton" by mistake.
* ComicallyMissingThePoint: Otto thinks he's supposed to run down the cardboard cutouts of pedestrians on the driving test course.
** When Otto was kicked out of his apartment:
-->'''Otto:''' Can I at least get my stuff?\\
'''Landlord:''' All I found in there was a jar of mustard and a couple of old 'Psycho' magazines.\\
'''Otto:''' Whoa! ...I had mustard?!
* CoolTeacher: Patty when Otto expresses hatred for Homer. She gives him every answer to the written word test, spends the practical test laughing at stories of Homer's stupidity and offers to take Otto out for drinks after.
* DadTheVeteran: When Marge asks Otto why he can't stay with his parents, Otto explains that he and "the admiral" don't get along.
* EarlyBirdCameo: Otto attends the Spinal Tap concert, although he doesn't interact with Bart or Milhouse there.
* EpicFail: The first time around on his driver's test, Otto failed every segment and misspelled "bus" on his application.
** Homer's exploits include getting his nose caught in the Simpsons' toaster (which Patty and Selma have on tape), and having a chicken wing stuck to his face for ''three days''.
* EveryCarIsAPinto: In Spinal Tap's last appearance in the episode, their tour bus is run off the road, whereupon it flips over and bursts into flames. (Knowing this group's checkered history, this probably only kills the drummer.)
* EmptyFridgeEmptyLife: The misery of Ottos life is hammered home by his landlord listing his meager few possessions after he evicts him.
* EyeScream: One of the Spinal Tap members is hit in the eye with one of the stage show lasers.
* FakeGuestStar: Creator/HarryShearer plays his Simpsons characters and Spinal Tap bassist Derek Smalls.
* FunnyBackgroundEvent: Homer waits in the car for Bart and Milhouse while they're at the concert. We see him munching on chips and singing along to the radio, blissfully unaware of the riot police storming the arena outside his car window.
* IncompetenceInc: The management of the venue where Spinal Tap performs. The place is usually a hockey rink, but the melted water hasn't been cleaned off the stage; the giant Devil balloon deflates during the show; the stage fans are set full blast instead of the medium setting the band requested; The stage lights aren't turned on at the band's cue; and one of the band members gets hit with the stage lasers. It's hard to blame the band for not wanting to put up with it anymore.
* ITakeOffenseThatLastOne: Otto doesn't object to being called a bum, or being called out for clogging the bathroom sink, eating the last cookie, and getting collect calls. But don't you ''dare'' call him a sponge.
* PapaWolf: Homer kicks Otto out after the latter tells Lisa a horror story that makes her scream.
* ScrewThisImOuttaHere: Spinal Tap abandons the concert 20 minutes in after getting fed up with the various screwups of the stage crew - the scene hasn't been properly prepared and is full of water from its usual job as an ice rink, their inflatable giant devil prop isn't inflated, the lights don't come on as they're supposed to, and one of the members gets hit in the eye with a stage laser.
* ShoutOut: Homer says of Otto "This is not ''Series/HappyDays'' and he is not the Fonz." Otto then comes in and says "Hey, Mr. S!" like Fonzie would call Richie's father "Mr. C."
* SpecialGuest: Spinal Tap. All three actors (one of whom, of course, is ''Simpsons'' regular Creator/HarryShearer) reprise their roles, with the concert and its aftermath taking up the episode's entire first act.
* SpoofAesop: Homer's speech to Bart about giving up on any hobby that proves more difficult than he expected.
* TemptingFate: When speaking on whether to evict Otto from their house, Marge tells Homer that he is good with their kids. Then, they hear Lisa screaming from Otto's story, and Homer declares that the last straw.
* ThisIsReality: Homer's objection over Otto staying with them as listed in ShoutOut.
* WhatHappenedToTheMouse and PlotHole: The writers never did resolve how Principal Skinner got out of the traffic jam (and how Bart got off the bus to go to the Kwik-E-Mart).