Episode - 8F13\\
First Aired - 2/20/1992
BaseballEpisode where Homer and his homemade bat carry the power plants softball team into the championship game. However, Mr. Burns hires a team of Major League Baseball players to guarantee a victory and win a million dollar bet.
!!This episode contains examples of:
* AsHimself: Wade Boggs, Josť Canseco, Roger Clemens, Ken Griffey Jr., Don Mattingly, Steve Sax, Mike Scoscia, Ozzie Smith, and Darryl Strawberry are the ringers Mr. Burns hires. Musician Terry Cashman sings a version of his song "Talkin' Baseball" based on the events of the episode during the credits.
* BaitAndSwitch: It looks like the episode will revolve around Homer and his "magic" bat, but the plot switches to the Ringers Mr Burns hires. The bat even breaks during the first practice with the pros.
* BackForTheFinale: Ozzie Smith appears on the ending group photo in astral form, due to being trapped in another dimension.
* DownToTheLastPlay: Homer is called upon to pinch-hit for Darryl Strawberry with the bases loaded and two outs in the bottom of the ninth. Thanks to Mr. Burns and his weird HandSignals, Homer becomes distracted and gets knocked-out by a pitch to the head, forcing the winning run to score.
* PoliceBrutality: Steve Sax is arrested for just about every unsolved crime in New York City by the Springfield Police for no particular reason. Also DisproportionateRetribution.
* TakeThat: After Mr. Burns kicks Mattingly off the team for not getting rid of his nonexistent sideburns, Mattingly notes that he "still like[s] [Burns] better than Steinbrenner."
* TemptingFate: Burns finding the idea that his nine players would befall nine calamities before the Shelbyville game hilarious. Technically he's correct. [[spoiler: Only seven players were subject to ridiculous calamities. Mattingly is kicked off because he still didn't get rid of the nonexistent sideburns Burns kept screaming about, and Strawberry still makes it.]]
* WholePlotReference: To ''The Natural'', particularly the film version starring Creator/RobertRedford as a baseball player using a a bat of [[ThunderboltIron Thunderbolt Wood]] from a lightning-struck tree.