In this homage to the film ''Film/TheTreasureOfTheSierraMadre'', Bart (after only earning 50 cents from an old woman [voiced by Cloris Leachman] who hired him to do dangerous chores), Milhouse [who only wanted to buy a baseball card], and Martin pool their money together so they can buy the first issue of ''Radioactive Man'', but their greed, jealousy, and paranoia turn them against each other and turn the treasured comic book into shredded paper.
* AsideGlance: Bart while his future self narrates his life (a la ''Series/TheWonderYears''). An annoyed Homer tells him to stop staring into space.
* BrokenAesop: They apparently learned nothing in the end.
-->'''Bart:''' We worked so hard, and now we end up with nothing because the three of us can't share.\\
'''Milhouse:''' What's your point?\\
'''Bart:''' Nothing. This just really ticked me off.
* BoltOfDivineRetribution: Right on the comic. After it fell into the wet grass and shredded by Santa's Little Helper.
* CouldHaveAvoidedThisPlot: Martin points out if Bart never tied him up for being so paranoid he would have saved the comic while Bart saves Milhouse.
-->'''Bart:''' Shut up! Just shut up!
* FirstAppearance: First episode featuring Comic Book Guy (back before [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS8E14TheItchyAndScratchyAndPoochieShow he was an]] AudienceSurrogate [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS8E14TheItchyAndScratchyAndPoochieShow for angry nerds]], before [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS16E8HomerAndNedsHailMaryPass his real name of Jeff Albertson was revealed]], and before [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS25E10MarriedToTheBlob he married a Japanese manga artist]]).
* GettingCrapPastTheRadar: When Bart tells Homer that he wants the ''Radioactive Man'' comic more than anything, Homer responds, "Well, T.S." T.S. means [[spoiler:tough shit]].
* NerdsSpeakKlingon: Comic Book Guy mentions that he has a Masters in Folklore and Mythology, part of which involved translating ''Literature/TheLordOfTheRings'' into Klingon.
* ILoveNuclearPower: The origin of Radioactive Man's powers (via nuclear bomb testing).
* TooDumbToLive: Mrs. Glick's brother, who died in World War I from pulling the pin on a grenade and monologuing too long about [[AndThisIsFor who the grenade is supposed to avenge]] before intending to throw it.
-->'''Asa''': This one's for you, Kaiser Bill. Special delivery from Uncle Sam and all the boys in "D" company. Yeah, Johnny, Harrison, Brooklyn Bob, and Reggie. Yeah, even Reggie. He ain't so stuck up once you get to -- ''(grenade blows up)''
* WhatCouldHaveBeen: According to DVD commentary, the third act originally had Bart rally a union of kids who were sick of doing chores for minimum pay, but the writers thought this detracted from the original story and banged out a subtle ''Treasure of the Sierra Madre'' parody.
* YoureInsane: Milhouse calls Bart crazy when he thinks he'll bash Bart's head with a brick.