When Marge throws a dinner party, Homer gets drunk and makes a fool of himself (even going as far as tricking Maude Flanders into digging for nuts so he can ogle her cleavage) and Marge forces Homer to explain to Bart what he did and go on a marriage retreat (which Homer wants to abandon so he can go after a legendary catfish). Meanwhile, after their regular babysitter freaks out over memories of Bart trying to run her over with the family car, Grampa Simpson steps in to care for the kids -- and Bart and Lisa take advantage of the old man by making him do whatever they want (eat ice cream instead of dinner, smoke cigars, drink coffee, and have a wild party).
* CompressedVice: Homer's obsession with fishing pretty much begins and ends in this episode.
* EasilyForgiven: Marge lets Homer off the hook shockingly fast at the end. All he does is throw back the fish he caught, which really doesn't address any of the things she was mad at him for, but she immediately accepts this as good enough.
** Though, Marge calls him out for caring more about being popular with the other fishers than his own marriage. So he threw the fish back to prove her wrong, showing Marge that Homer ''does'' care about her.
* FirstAppearance: This is the first episode featuring Snake Jailbird (the convict who always robs the Kwik-E-Mart). In commemoration, Snake's jail number is this episode's production code (7F20), though some episodes depict this as [=TF20=] due to [[OffModel bad animation/artwork]].
* FlyInTheSoup: Homer puts a fake icecube with a fly inside on Dr. Hibbert's drink. Hibbert lectures Homer on the dangerous chemicals in the plastic cube, noting that a ''real'' fly would have been safer. Though Homer doesn't listen because he's too busy laughing at how much he fooled Dr. Hibbert.
* LongList: When Lovejoy asked everyone to say what they didn't like about there partners. Homer mentions one minor thing that annoys Marge. However when it's Marges turn she ends up rattling off a list so long it takes several hours to finish and leaves her with a hoarse voice. Even then that's only what she can remember at that point in time.
* OminousLatinChanting: During the babysitter's flashback of baby Bart nearly running her over.
* ShroudedInMyth: Homer becomes a local legend for almost catching General Sherman, and starts getting this treatment.
* ShoutOut: Homer's battle with General Sherman is similar to [[Literature/MobyDick Captain Ahab and Moby Dick]].
-->'''Homer:''' ''(punching General Sherman)'' I love you! But I must kill you!
* SignatureLaugh: Arguably the first usage of Nelson's iconic "ha ha!", though it's a little bit different here.
* WhatTheHellHero: Marge wakes up to find him sneaking to go fishing. She gets angry and berates him, telling him they're trying to save their marriage. Then she calls him out for ''still'' thinking about fishing even when she's talking to him.
-->'''Homer:''' Is it the time to be honest?\\
'''Marge:''' ''(imagined as a fish person)'' Yes!
* WoundedGazelleGambit: Grampa finally gets the kids to behave and clean up their mess by pretending to cry so that they'll feel sorry for him.