Homer loses Santa's Little Helper because he's too busy playing VillageVille (which is pretty much CastleVille without the Gloom and the Beasties and the eight million quests that require you to plant crops that you have to harvest within 12 hours despite the fact that you're at work most of the day). When Santa's Little Helper is found in the kitchen cabinet and Homer admits he doesn't care about him, Grampa tells the story of Homer's first dog, Bongo, and how he ended up missing.
* BigNo: The Simpsons give one upon being informed Grampa will have to live with them.
* CallBack: Waylon Smithers Sr. from [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS13E5TheBlunderYears "The Blunder Years"]] appears in the flashback sequence.
* ItWillNeverCatchOn: Back when he was a kid, Homer suggested inventing cup holders and his Dad scoffed at the idea.
* MetronomicManMashing: A flashback shows Krusty receiving this treatment from a gorilla.
* OriginsEpisode: The flashback sequences explain the backstories of several Springfield citizens. Lampshaded by Bart, who has a checklist on how many peoples' origins were told.
* UndyingLoyalty: Grampa proves that Bongo never stopped loving Homer by showing him a picture of an older Bongo sleeping on the ''Itchy & Scratchy'' sweater he gave to him.