Homer becomes obsessed with a [=Mapple=] [=MyPad=] he won in a silent auction at school, but when he breaks it, he loses all hope -- then finds it again when he discovers that his backyard tree has spelled out the word "HOPE" in sap.
!!This episode contains examples of (YMMV tropes can be found [[YMMV/TheSimpsonsS24E6ATreeGrowsInSpringfield here]]):
* BaitAndSwitch: There's a scene where it seems that Homer is playing a game at his [=MyPad=] and driving at the same time but then it's revealed he's actually playing a game that simulates distracted driving.
* BrickJoke: During Kent Brockman's investigation we see where Lenny ended up after his conversation with Moe and Homer got dropped.
* FunnyAnimalAnatomy: Flushie is apparently an alligator, but he has interlocking teeth like a crocodile.
* HypocriticalHumor: Homer says that books are for cavemen yet he acts like a caveman when seeing fire.
* PaletteSwap: Flushie resembles a brownish-green [[TheSimpsonsS11E19KillTheAlligatorAndRun Captain Jack]].
* SewerGator: [[MeaningfulName Flushie]].
* SomethingCompletelyDifferent: A short at the end of the episode featuring a ContinuityNod of in-universe Simpsons' products.