In this year's scary installment, a botched Mayan sacrifice in the past brings about TheEndOfTheWorldAsWeKnowIt in the future, Lisa keeps a black hole as a pet in "The Greatest Story Ever Holed," The Simpsons catch paranormal activity on tape in "Unnormal Activity," and Bart goes ''Film/BackToTheFuture'' and ends up being the son of Artie Ziff in "Bart and Homer's Excellent Adventure."
* AnachronismStew: When the Mayans figured out when the world would end, they decided not to worry and that [[UsefulNotes/BarackObama Obama]] would be blamed for it.
* BlackComedyRape: Homer is forced into three-way sex with two demons to save his wife. Subverted when Homer removes his clothes and suggests an unnamed sexual technique he wants to try, which grosses out the very demons who want to rape him. (May double as TooKinkyToTorture.)
* FutureMeScaresMe: 1974 Homer is quite disturbed by his future self's appearance. (In fact, this scene provides the picture for the trope's page.)
* HilariousInHindsight or FunnyAneurysmMoment: Quimby's line about 2012's apocalypse being Obama's fault. 2012 was when Obama was re-elected, and, depending on your political beliefs or opinions about Obama, this is either very good or very bad.
* KidFromTheFuture: Bart walks up to 1974 Homer and introduces himself as "the unwanted son from the future who kills all your fun."
* MesACrowd: To win Marge back, Homer gathers all the Homers from various times in history.
* ShoutOut: The title "Bart and Homer's Excellent Adventure" is based on ''[[Film/BillAndTed Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure]]''.