In this ValentinesDayEpisode, Bart reunites with Mary (Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel's daughter who moved to New York and writes for ''Saturday Night Live''), but their relationship drifts apart and Bart must win back Mary or lose her forever.
!!"Love is a Many-Splintered Thing" contains examples of:
* AbusiveParents: ''Marge'', of all people, comes off as this when [[IHaveNoSon she throws Bart out of the house]] just because he agrees with Homer that LoveHurts.
* BaitAndSwitch: When Bart and Homer are expelled from home, two suitcases are thrown as well. The smallest has a Krusty the Klown's face and the other doesn't have any sign to suggest it to belong to a kid. The smallest belongs to Homer.
* DisproportionateRetribution: Marge not only kicks Homer out, but ''Bart'' as well, all because of a frustrated response about women never saying what they mean (shortly after Mary broke up with him over the phone).
* DownerEnding: While Homer wins Marge back after going through leaps and bounds (once again), Mary dumps Bart and is now dating the son of a Brazilian producer.
** HopeSpot: The episode ends with her relationship status updating from 'married' to 'single.'
* IHaveNoSon: Marge disowns Bart because he sided with his father over their argument about love.
* TheUnfavourite: Kicking him out just because of his bitterness towards Mary makes Bart this to Marge.