Homer and Marge decide to name a legal guardian for their children should (Heaven forbid) the day come that Homer and Marge die or are unable to care for the kids, but when Homer's brother, Herb, goes broke ([[NoodleIncident for reasons unknown]]) and everyone else in town refuses, Bart and Lisa pick a young, yuppie couple that Marge and Homer fear will replace them while they're still alive.
* FiveFiveFive: A babysitter has 555-1231 as her phone number.
* HappilyAdopted: The yuppie couple were better parents than Homer and Marge.
* LiteralMinded: Homer has a bucket list. Rather than a list of things to do before he dies, however, it's a list of buckets of food [[TheLastOfTheseIsNotLikeTheOthers and cholesterol medicine]].
* NotAllowedToGrowUp: Selma's daughter aged up from the last time she appeared while Bart, Lisa and Maggie didn't.
* RichesToRags and NoodleIncident: When the Simpsons tried to contact Homer's illegitimate half-brother Herb, they learned he went broke again for reasons unknown (though it's most likely implied that the current recession may have caused him to lose his fortune).
* StageMom: Patty and Selma are very pushy towards the latter's adopted daughter and that's the reason Homer and Marge give up on the idea of wanting them as guardians for Bart, Lisa and Maggie.
* TemptingFate: When Homer, Marge, Lenny and Carl are trying to rescue Santa's Little Helper from a twister, Lenny comments that they're safe inside their van. The twister then rips the van's body apart.
* WhereTheHellIsSpringfield: Based on a conversation where Homer and Marge discuss their kids' future, it's not in Connecticut.