In this, the 500th episode, the town of Springfield has had enough of The Simpsons and banish them to live off the grid.
!! Tropes (YMMV tropes can be found [[YMMV/TheSimpsonsS23E14AtLongLastLeave here]]):
* ComicallyMissingThePoint: This entire dialogue
-->'''Brockman:''' All Springfielders should now move off the streets and inside their homes. Please avoid the superstitious panic that marked the recent lunar eclipse.
-->[a picture of Homer rioting, standing on Abraham Simpson is shown]
-->'''Homer:''' Heheh. Sorry dad. I was afraid the dragon wouldn't cough the moon back up.
-->'''Grampa:''' You idgit! The dragon always coughs the moon back up.
-->'''Lisa:''' I know it's futile but I must again point out, there is no dragon.
-->'''Homer:''' Then why am I paying $800 a year in dragon insurance?
-->'''Lisa:''' Again, I maintain that money would be better spent on car insurance.
-->'''Homer:''' Lisa, everyone knows that dragons do not attack cars. Geez, pick up a book.
-->'''Lisa:''' [annoyed] I pick up books like you pick up beers!
-->'''Homer:''' Then you have a serious reading problem.
* ContinuityNod: Bart's [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS11E2BrothersLittleHelper pranks]], Homer's [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS10E11WildBartsCantBeBroken drunken rampage]] (which was blamed on the kids in town in that episode, but there was no scene where the police realize that it was caused by Homer and his drunken friends until now), and Lisa's [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS21E19TheSquirtAndTheWhale activism]]
* CouchGag: A collection of the couch gags from the previous episodes, culminating into a mosaic reading "500," which falls apart, revealing Homer and Bart strangling each other in tuxedos.
* DisproportionateRetribution: One of the reasons that the Simpsons are hated is because Maggie (a baby) doesn't talk.
* EnfantTerrible: The people of Springfield accuse Maggie of being this.
* KarmaHoudini: The entire town doesn't even apologize for banishing the Simpson family, even after moving to the outlands with them.
** Subverted with the Simpsons family itself after the town are finally tired of putting up with them.
* JerkassRealization: The townsfolk when Homer and Marge go back to the outlands as the people there accepted them for who they are. And after being called jerks by Homer.
* NegativeContinuity: By the end of this episode, every Springfielder moved to the Outlands and nobody expressed any intention to return. In the next episode, things are like this one never happened.
* RetroactiveWish: When the Simpsons were banished from Springfield, Homer announced he'd curse the town into a hundred-year drought and it started raining soon after. Homer then tried to change it to a hundred-year rain and then the rain stopped and a rainbow showed up. Homer weakly tried a "good weather" curse.
* WithFriendsLikeThese: The Simpson family are spared by ''no one''. This includes their so-called close friends and other family members. Only Flanders tries to talk in their favor, and is silenced with a battering ram.