Bart decides to get rid of Santa's Little Helper after he eats the bird that Bart was trying to save from dying.
* FunWithAcronyms: Milhouse uses the pigeon to send Bart a message with a [=PDF=] file. The "file" is a photograph Milhouse considers '''P'''retty '''D'''arn '''F'''unny.
* ContinuityNod: This isn't the first time Bart was mad at Santa's Little Helper.
* KangarooCourt: The Itchy and Scratchy cartoon features a trial where the jury quickly declares the defendant guilty because they don't want to take time to deliberate.
* MissingMom: Nelson's mother eloped with the clown from his birthday party.
* MouseHole: In the intro, when the Simpsons entered their living room, Prof. Frink shrunk them and they ran into the hole to escape the cat.
* RhetoricalQuestionBlunder: At some point in the past, Santa's Little Helper dragged Bart around and a newspaper published it with the question "Who's walking who?". Homer says he sent the answer but they refused to publish it.
* ShoutOut: The [[WesternAnimation/TheItchyAndScratchyShow Itchy and Scratchy]] cartoon features several. The title (''Dogday Hellody of 1933'') is a play on ''Broadway Melody''. The basic plot is a parody of [[PlutosJudgementDay Pluto's Judgement Day]], while the parade of celebrity cameos brings (Including Harpo Marx, Will Rogers, and Edward G. Robinson) is reminiscent of the "Hollywood Party" style of [[WesternAnimation/LooneyTunes Looney Tunes]] cartoons, such as ''Hollywood Steps Out''