When Mr. Burns finds out that he's near death's door (despite a previous episode stating that Mr. Burns has every disease known to man kept in perfect balance) and that no one cares if he dies (in fact, [[AndThereWasMuchRejoicing they're ready to celebrate]]), Burns decides to [[DrivenToSuicide end it all himself]], but botches it and ends up as The Simpsons' latest house guest (even though he was their houseguest before when he went broke and had to live as a blue-collar slob).
* CallBack: To [[Film/TheSimpsons the film]]; Mr. Burns wants to put a dome over the town, only to learn that ItsBeenDone.
* EvenEvilHasStandards: One of the media conspirators found it wrong to falsely announce a new epidemic to scare the masses. [[SubvertedTrope He instead suggested spreading a real disease so the news wouldn't be false]].
* ItsBeenDone: Inspired by ''Literature/UnderTheDome'', Burns plans to seal the town under a glass dome. Then Lenny mentions that [[WesternAnimation/TheSimpsonsMovie it had been done already]].
* StrangeMindsThinkAlike: When Homer learned Burns survived his failed suicide, he suggested treating Burns the way he "screwed" them. Mayor Quimby later suggested the same thing and the people approved.
* TakeThat: to FoxNews (as always).
* WhyDidntIThinkOfThat: Carl comments that even if Burns drop the dome they can dig their why under it, then sarcastically asks why they didn't bother to do that the first time.